Chapter Nine

Moriarty stood in front of the scanner, his hands clenched against the cool metal countertop, a murderous expression on his face. Every single one of his weeping angel demons had been captured. Demons were obviously even more stupid than they'd already proved themselves to be - he hadn't thought that that could be possible. But here was the evidence, right in front of him.

He ground his teeth together. Not only had the demons managed to get themselves captured, but they'd also failed in the one simple task he'd set them: killing Sherlock. That was the part that really boiled his blood.

Moriarty forced himself to take a breath. Now was not the time to get irrationally angry and make a stupid mistake. He still had demons, just none with weeping angel hosts - which was what he really needed, the weeping angels. Without them, he couldn't tear the fabric of time and space to release the demons into the world beyond.

That was his priority now: getting the demon box back from Sherlock and his filthy time-traveling friend.

Moriarty turned and walked over to the wall of his safe house. He pulled a sheet of paper from the stack on his desk, picked up a tack, and stabbed the piece of paper to the wall. His mind had already begun sorting through his options, taking ideas and discarding them, turning fragments over, assembling his thoughts into a plan.

Without hesitation, Moriarty picked up a pen and began to draw up his plan of action.

~

The mood on board the TARDIS was one of celebration. They'd done it: they'd captured the weeping angel demons, and effectively stolen Moriarty's only way to rip a hole in time and space. Clara was feeling especially pleased with herself, seeing as she had been the one to mastermind the genius plan.

"Clara, have I ever told you that you are brilliant?" the Doctor asked. He leaned against the console, a cocky smile on his face.

"You don't have to - I already know," Clara replied, flashing him a cheeky grin.

Dean leaned his back against a railing, a paper plate of cherry pie in one hand and a plastic fork in the other. "I can't believe that worked," he said with a shake of his head. "But it did."

John nudged him with one elbow. "Just admit it, Dean. It was a great plan."

"Sam and I almost died," Dean said, raising his fork.

Sam raised one eyebrow. "Dean, ninety percent of the time we're about to die. You and I have both already died multiple times. It's not that big of a deal."

Clara cocked her head to one side. "You two have... died? And come back to life?"

Dean shrugged. "Yeah."

"What, do you regenerate, like the Doctor?" Clara asked.

Sam shook his head. "Not exactly."

The Doctor waved his hands in the air. "Let's not talk about death right now!" he shouted. "We're supposed to be celebrating Clara's brilliance, remember?" He pulled a wad of streamers out from nowhere under the console and flung them into the air.

Back away from the celebration, Sherlock and Castiel stood together, watching the others laugh and talk. Neither one said anything, just watched in silence. Castiel was the one to break it.

"I don't see how they can celebrate at a time like this," he said gravely.

Sherlock nodded in agreement. "Surely they know Moriarty isn't just going to give up and go home because we stole his demons." He shook his head curtly. "No, he's going to try to get them back."