12| Kingsroad

"It is a big and beautiful world. Most of us live and die in the same corner where we were born and never get to see any of it. I don't want to be most of us."

Charlotte's POV

Charlotte's POV

It's been an overall two weeks since we left Winterfell. I took up my father's offer and rode alongside the caravan for the most part. My mother pitched a fit, but even the Queen can't deny the King and what he wants.

However, we were close to arriving back in King's Landing, and a princess should no seen riding on a horse.

•••

A crowd was gathering around the wheelhouse, where I currently took my refuge. Guards from King's Landing were coming to escort us the rest of the way, and I was little thrilled. My first appearance as a Princess of Westeros. It was different in the North... there I knew people.

On Kingsroad, not so much. It's a road directly from Winterfell to King's Landing.

My Queen mother squeezes my shoulder softly. "You'll do fine. Don't be nervous. They're only guards from the council coming to escort your father." I wasn't nervous. I was terrified.

She turns away, opening the doors to the wheelhouse. She stood at the top of the wooden steps, smiling down at our escorts. My mother notions for me to stand, grabbing my hand tightly and pulling me to her side.

Simultaneously, each of the knights bow. "At your service, Princess Charlotte." Each deep voice blended together, echoing loudly in the inner part of my ear. I stood nervously, admiring their armor. White enameled scales, brilliant as a field of new-fallen snow. Silver clasps and chasings glittering in the sun.

Standing behind him was another knight, much younger than the first. Their armor identical in design, but differed in complexity and color. Armor black as burning coals, glistening with strength and powerful stature. He turns his eyes towards mine, and I froze. Chocolate brown hair with eyes the color of the midwinter sky. "The council does us a great honor, my good lords." Her words bringing me back to reality.

Stop Charlotte.... A Princess does not covet after those who work for her.

The other knight wore an armor with a steel plate of a deep forest-green. Tall and powerful, with jet-black hair that fell to his shoulders. Green eyes hinting laughter. The Queen whispers in my ear, pointing toward the man. "This is Renly, your father's brother." Lord of Storm's End and councilor to the King.

Renly stands, approaching the wheelhouse and offering his hand. "A stunning young woman, Robert's most notable offspring yet." I blush softly, meeting his eyes. He takes my hand and blesses it with a kiss. "May your arrival in King's Landing be a new beginning."

My mother places her arm around my shoulder, pushing me back into the wheelhouse. "This is enough for now, love." I sigh, praising myself for finally feeling comfortable with the presence of strangers. "Who were the other Knights? The one in gold... and the one behind him."