17| How to Not Conquer the North

"You spend to much time worrying about what other people think of you..."

Charlotte's POV

"Please, it's nearly healed." My mother whispers to Joffrey, as she tends to his wounds. I stand just feet away, looking off balcony at the fullness of King's Landing. "Charlotte didn't nearly complain as much when she almost broke her shoulder." I smile softly, picturing Joffrey's flushed face in my mind.

"It's ugly."

She replies encouragingly. "A King should have scars. You fought off a direwolf. You're a warrior, like your father."

I groan under my breath. Not even the cooling wind of King's Landing could console me. Mother was indulging Joffrey, instead of treating him like a prince. I walk away from the balcony, sitting in a chair farthest away from the two of them.

"I'm not like him. I didn't fight off anything. It bit me and all I did was scream. The two Stark girls saw, both of them. And... Charlotte..."

Every word he spoke angered me. A deep ignorance in the pit of my stomach. She continues to talk to Joffrey. "That's not true. You killed the beast. You only spared the girl because of the love your father bares her father."

"I didn't... I...." Joffrey stumbles on his words. He does have some sense in that twisted blonde head of his.

"When Aerys Targaryen sat on the Iron Throne, your father was a rebel and a traitor. Someday you'll sit on the throne, and the truth will be what you make it."

If the truth is what you make it, than wisdom is nonexistent. Considering, wisdom is only found in absolute truth. I hate being a skeptic.

"Do I have to marry her?"

His words shatter a tiny piece of my heart. Sansa is a pure and innocent young girl, marrying Joffrey will only break her. "Yes. She's very beautiful and young. And if you don't like her, you only need to see her on formal occasions... and when the time comes to make like princes and princesses."

She turns to me, finally acknowledging my presence. "You too, Charlotte. The time will come when you marry a high lord... and.... " A silence spreads throughout the room. I look at her expectantly. "And... leave King's Landing?"

She turns back to Joffrey, dismissing my claim. "You are my darling boy, and the world will be exactly as you want it to be."

"Do something nice for the Stark girl." Her words almost flabbergasted me. Joffrey, being nice? I'd have to see it to believe it. "I don't want too." She reassures him. "No, but you will. The occasional kindness will spare you all sorts of trouble down the road."

"We allow the Northerners to much power. They consider themselves our equals." We are your equals... but this isn't my battle to fight. I am no longer a Northerner. I turn away from them, admiring the patterns on the walls. Why am I kidding myself? The cold northern air will always be a part of my blood.

"How would you handle them?"

"I'd double their taxes and command them to supply ten thousand men to the Royal Army." Mother quickly turns to me. "And you, Charlotte?"

I stand, joining them on the other side of the room. I'll indulge her questions. "I'd give the Northerners what they want. If the taxes were raised, the common people would revolt. I've seen it first hand... Northerners only remain loyal to the place of their birth. No use in commanding them to serve in a Royal Army. Take King's Landing as an example... None of the common people are loyal to the crown. It'll be ten times worse in the North."