18| Reign of the Golden Princess

"What do we say to the Lord of Death?"

"Not today."

*~* Ten Years Prior... Following the Greyjoy Rebellion. Flashback *~*

Third Person POV

Lord Stark, Warden of the North, and King Robert had returned to Winterfell after successfully causing Balon Greyjoy to surrender after his second son, and current heir Maron was killed by a collapsed tower in Pyke. The soldiers of the Iron Throne had battled through the Iron Islands, and succeeded in putting the Greyjoys in their place.

King Robert had traveled to Winterfell to recuperate and gain his strength before returning back to Kingslanding. He knew he had a wife and children back home, but that wasn't even a main thought in his mind as he sloshed a cup of wine into his mouth.

"Just like the good ole' days, aye Stark?" Robert drunkenly asked, slamming his empty cup down onto the wooden table. Lord Stark remained calm and collected. "You should be returning home, Robert. There is nothing here for you in Winterfell."

Just then, three of Lord Stark's children run into the dining hall, tripping over themselves as they sought the attention of their father. "Father! Father! You have to tell us about the battle?" Robb exclaimed, jumping into his father's lap.

Jon stays quietly behind his brother, gaining the attention of Lord Stark as he and Jon shared a look of silent fatherly bonding.

The last child, a feisty blonde, pushes Robb away from their father. "How many people did you kill?" Her voice was full of fascination, climbing onto her father's shoulders and proudly smiling down at her two brothers.

Robert stares at the small girl. "She's got a mouth on her, Stark. You better be careful."

Lord Stark politely smiles in return. "Charlotte here, is a fiery little girl. Life never gets boring." He grabs Charlotte playfully, pulling her down into his lap. Charlotte began giggling uncontrollably as her father began to tickle her. Robert's face contorts after hearing the child's name.

"She doesn't look like you, nor Catelyn. A bastard like the other?" Robert nods his head towards Jon.

Ned narrows his eyes, debating his next words. "There's actually something I have to tell you, Robert." Ned turns to his two sons. "You two go occupy yourselves outside. Give the King and I some space."

Robb narrows his eyes at his sister, groaning loudly. "Why does Charlotte get to stay?!"

"Charlotte will be right behind the two of you. I promise..." Charlotte snuggles into her father's side. "I don't want to leave you..." Her voice was a high soprano, indicating her sweet personality. Ned softly pats her very blonde head. "It'll only be for ten minutes."

Jon and Robb both knew that if they didn't leave soon, their father would be angry. This thought caused them to leave. Charlotte stayed in her father's lap, sitting quietly as she stared at the King. Ned speaks softly. "Robert, Charlotte is a very special child that is very important to Catelyn and I."

He lets Robert stare at the child, knowing that he could slowly be piecing everything together, or his drunken brain could be thinking about his next cup of wine. There really was no telling.

Ned places Charlotte on the floor. "Go find your mother, and help her cook dinner." Charlotte smiles widely, and skips away. Robert had, had enough time to look at the child. He must surely know.

Robert turns to Ned. "I'm not understanding your words, brother. What does anything have to do with the child?"

Ned shakes his head back and forth. "Robert... Catelyn and I believe her to be your daughter. She was brought to us right about the time we received the news that the Queen had just given birth to two children, and one of them had been taken by a thief."

*~* Three Weeks Later *~*

A man was called to King Robert's chambers, using the back halls so that no one would recognize him. He arrives at the King's chambers, being greeted by Jaime. He took a hesitant step towards the knight, and smiled to himself knowing that Jaime knew not who he was.

Jaime speaks to the man. "You must be the man the King requested to see in private."

The man nods slowly, looking the young knight over with his eyes.

Jaime opens the King's door, and allows the man to step inside. He voices loudly. "The man has arrived, Your Majesty."

The man walks into the King's bedchambers, admiring the fancy drapery and colors of the room. King Robert was standing near a window, his beard sticking out in odd places around his face. "Come... Make yourself comfortable." Robert had not turned to acknowledge the man, yet.

He does as he is told, taking a seat in a chair across from the King's desk.

Robert finally turns to the man. "Can I ask why you spared the child? She was suppose to die."

The man's eyes widen. "What are you referring to?" The man knew, but was refusing to say out of ignorance. Robert continues. "We made a deal seven years prior about a child...You must remember. You were paid a good amount of money to end the child's life."

"I did, Your Majesty. I threw the scrabbling child into the river near Fleabottom. I watched her float away myself."

"Do not lie to me, you fool. I visited my old friend, Lord Stark. He told me of a man who brought his daughter, Charlotte, to Winterfell. The man he described matched your exact physical appearance, down to the scar on your cheek."

The man's entire body freezes.

Robert continues. "She was supposed to die... Charlotte was suppose to die. Cersei and I would mourn her death, and that would be the end." He turns to the man. "There was a prophecy spoken to me when Cersei was pregnant....

Two children born of the same seed. Children carved from the same stone, of the same blood. One will rise as the ruler, a lion in the midst. The other, a bringer of destruction.

"I knew my wife was going to have twins, a fact that she didn't even know. Our daughter was born sickly, but she immediately grabbed Cersei's heart. I let Cersei be a mother to her for a short while, but I knew that our son needed to be our sole focus....My daughter will never take the throne, which could only ever mean one thing. She will be the end of Westeros as we speak. This great country will be no longer be one. House will fight against house. Some will die and some will thrive."

"If this child causes any problems in the future, you will be the first to die. She will be the second." Robert finishes, and walks out of the room.

*~* Present Time *~*

King Robert sends someone with the status of a huntsman, or a secret assassin to kill the man after all these years. Charlotte was never intended to return to Kingslanding. He was reluctant in bringing his family to Winterfell in the first place. He had not predicted that Cersei would recognize their daughter after sixteen years. Nor, that Cersei would insist on her return, and her to take the status of Princess.

Charlotte seemed as a sweet child, considerate and possibly the most proper her age. But, none of that mattered when it concerted the future of Westeros. As King, it was his duty to protect the realm. That meant his family came second.

*~* Charlotte's POV *~*

Blood was dripping down my arms, hitting the stone floor as huge droplets. The blood was engulfing every stone it could touch, turning the floor into a red sea. I couldn't sit for my legs were chained to the wall, my arms cuffed together in front of me.

What did I do to deserve this?

The reign of the Golden Princess will end at the hands of her captor.

This is the end. There was no reason for my heart to continue to beat, for the pain was to overwhelming for me to bare.

My eyes close one last time, my head leaned back as I prayed to the Gods one last time.