13| All is Fair with Love and War

"It's tempting to see your enemies as evil, but there's good and evil on both sides of every war fought."

Charlotte's POV

Charlotte's POV

Everyone was sleeping, at least to the best of my knowledge. Myrcella and Tommen were kept apart by a barrier, whilst I was in a separate cot. Mother took the other side of the wheelhouse. Joffrey was made to sleep in tent, sharing one with father.

I maneuver myself out of the cot, grabbing my shoes that were hidden underneath. Alongside the shoes, was a folded blue dress. I was not presenting myself to Sebastian wearing a nightgown, a yellow one at that. Yellow only brings out my pale complexion.

I grab my belongings, sneaking quietly to the door. I cursed silently every time one of the boards would creak under my feet. After three minutes, I was finally at the door. I turned the lock softly, hearing the gears move underneath my hand.

A silent... click. The door was unlocked and open. I was free.

"Where are you going?"

I froze, immediately putting my shoes and dress behind my back.

My mother was leaning up in bed, eyeing me suspiciously. "Charlotte, where are you going?" I smiled innocently, pointing towards the door. "I wanted some fresh air, trying to get accustomed to the southern atmosphere...." Was that believable?

She nods, looking me over a few times before laying back down. "Don't stay gone too long."

I sighed with relief, walking out of the door before she could change her mind.

I ran to the back of the wheelhouse, this side facing the forest. I changed clothes quickly, tying my shoes tightly around my ankles.

All that was left now... was to find the Red Oak tree at the edge of camp. I wasn't well trained in the classifying of plants, mostly your common garden flowers. In the North, the only flowers that bloom are the blue roses.

I began wandering around the camp for at least ten minutes, waiting to see a red tree. I mean, the tree has to be red, right?

"Charlotte." A voice whispers in the darkness. It was Sebastian.

I turn to the sound of the voice. "What? I don't know what trees look like..." A chuckle comes from the voice. "You don't know what trees look like? They're tall and green... you've probably seen one before. I bet you've run into one as well."

"Come here." I demand.

He reveals himself from behind a bush, coming to stand beside me. I slap him in the arm. "I know what trees are! I mean, different types of trees!" I narrow my eyes, preparing to walk back to the wheelhouse after his sarcastic comment.

"Wait... I'm sorry. I thought you would find it funny." He grabs my shoulder, placing his face inches away. I met his blue eyes again, and I instantly melted into his gaze. "It's.... it's fine." I turn away, unable to stare any longer.