20| Third Step

"Some old wounds never truly heal, and bleed again at the slightest word."

Third Person POV

Third Person POV

Jaime arrives minutes after the separation. It appeared as a quarrel between two lovers. If not for the bloody chains amongst the bricks, and the unpleasant smell of smoke whirling around the room, he would have believed the quarrel to be true. Only through his eyes, did he see his daughter laying unconscious in the corner of the room.

Charlotte's body laid against the wall, her head propped up as though someone had laid her in that graceful position. A red rose woven into her hair, enlightening the new color of red it gleamed.

The rose a symbol of blood shed, yet an innocent saved.

Dante and Nerezza had long since left the room, not leaving any sign of their previous presence.

Jaime quickly rushed to her side, using his hand to see if her heart was still beating. To his relief, it was strong and constant. "Charlotte..." He whispers, softly shaking her shoulders as though it would wake her. "Charlotte..."

Nothing was waking the girl.

It was as though he was finally becoming aware of her physical wounds, seeing her entire body covered with cuts and bruises. Dried blood was caked against her face and arms. Her once beautiful blue dress was dull and red-stained with blood.

Carefully, he picks her up with both arms and cradles her as he once did when she was a scrabbling child and refused to go to sleep for her mother. If Jaime was to be a father to her anytime soon, that time was now. Even if it was only in emotional spirit.

A few Kingsguard pile into the room. Ser Barristan rushes to the aid of his nephew, whilst the others surrounded Jaime as he tended to Charlotte. The room was beginning to fill with whispers, but this didn't faze Jaime. Instead, he exclaims loudly in the direction of the loudest speaking Kingsgaurd. "Find, Cersei! Now!"

*~*

Charlotte's POV

"Help me! Somebody, please help me!" I screamed into the darkness. The burning flames were approaching from all sides. There was no sign of escape. "Help me!" A figure emerges from the flames. One with black eyes, and the face of a woman. "Lord of Light, take this life!"

"Charlotte, open your eyes! Wake up!"

My eyes flash open, immediate relief filling every part of my body. It was only a dream. My mother was sitting on the bedside, worry etched into the furrow of her eyebrows. "Are you okay..." She softly rubs my cheek, knowing that, yet again... She was waking me from another nightmare.

I leaned up slowly, resting against the backside of my bed. "Each night, it gets worse... I can physically feel the heat of the flames wanting to burn my skin. Each night, she yells the same words." I pulled the sheets up to my chest, still trying to hide the disappearing bruises and the scars that would never go away.