25| Intertwined Fates

"You are very kind. Some day it will get you killed."

Charlotte's POV

Charlotte's POV

Cordial words were exchanged from my grandfather as he stood across from the tent and stared at me. "You seem tired, Charlotte. You need your rest. We will talk more tomorrow." His green eyes blink one last time before he turns away. I'm a sight for sore eyes. Jaime stands protectively beside the bed, glaring after his father with narrowed eyes. The two of us watch him leave.

"He's surprised to meet you. Cersei never told him that you had returned to King's Landing." Jaime lays his sword against the wall of the tent, removing heavy parts of his armor. I watch him carefully. "Jaime, can I ask you a question?" He turns to me with wide eyes, and nods.

"Was my mother ashamed of me? I mean, she never told me the truth about anything... Was she ashamed that out of all the kidnapped children in the world, I happened to be hers? She had given birth to a princess, and she found me raised by the wolves in Winterfell... I just want to know the reasons for why she's always lying to me."

He bends down to my eye level, sitting on the ground beside the bed. The happiness from before had disappeared from his face, only leaving a pale complexion of guilt and sadness. "She was never ashamed of you, Charlotte... She wanted to protect you. She wanted her baby back, but you were almost grown. You knew nothing about the life you were born into. By lying to you, she was trying to make the transition as easy for you as she possibly could. The pain she went through... She didn't want the same happening to you."

"Why didn't you tell me the truth? Or, did she hide it from you too?"

"She told me she was taking her secrets to the grave, so... No, she never told me of the prophecy, nor anything else you might've learned in the passing days. The only thing she required of me was to protect you, and I failed on more than one occasion. I know we've hurt you, Charlotte... But, you will never find another family that loves you more."

The Starks.

I laid my head against the feather pillow, my heartbeat echoing, or somewhat jabbing against my skull. "Jaime, I'm not sure I can forgive her this time." I turned in the direction of the far side of the tent, watching as the wind blew against the sheets. I'm not sure I'll ever be able to forgive her. My eyes close with little resistance, and I was completely and utterly satisfied with escaping the world for a few hours.

Third Person POV

Jaime watches with careful eyes as Charlotte slips into a deep slumber. He knew the child was in need of sleep, and he knew she would eventually lose the fight of trying to stay awake. "Sleep well..." He whispers under his breath before walking out of the tent to give her some peace.