27| Secret Motion of Things

"Always keep your foes confused. If they are never certain who you are or what you want, they cannot know what you are likely to do next."

Charlotte's POV

Charlotte's POV

An inkling of impending doom overtook my nerves as I stepped through the wavering sheets. Colors of red and gold blowing in the wind, and along with it came the smell of death. An eerie foreboding smell that hit my nostrils before I stepped foot into my grandfather's tent.

"Sebastian?"

My grandfather was standing above a body that much resembled my lover. The glow of life was slowly disappearing from his beautiful blue eyes, and all I could do was watch. "How could you?" I've lost so many people in my life. Accusation dominates my words, anger and resentment filling my once proud Lannister eyes.

"He was all I had left..."

The pain and heartache were sure to follow, a sign of my humanity I suppose. I fell to my knees beside Sebastian's chilling body, attempting to pull his head into my lap. "It's okay Sebastian... The Gods will welcome you into their embrace." I leaned down and momentarily kissed his forehead. "We will see each other again."

I gathered him in my arms as guards and knights began filing into the retched tent. "Charlotte, what happened..." Jaime was staring, his eyes scanning the scene that was about to unfold. "As if you didn't know?" I picked up the nearest item within reach, it being a golden chalice. "You're the reason he's dead!"

I threw it at Jaime's head, and missed by a measly inch. "You killed him! You all killed him!" I pulled Sebastian's body into the corner where I was cowering.

"Father, what is she talking about?" Jaime's eyes hold suspicion as he smelled poison in the air. Liquid that had previously been contained inside the chalice was now bleeding through the once magnificent tapestries that covered the ground.

Tywin's body language indicated that he knew exactly what happened. Shock, nor surprise shown anywhere on his face. "I did it to protect our family. He was a spy."

"A spy?!" I find myself standing just inches away from him, Sebastian's body hunched against the wall. I don't remember standing up. "He was just knighted! He is Ser Barristan's nephew, a most noble and honorable man. He was no spy!"

Jaime walks over behind me, and pulls me away from his father. "Charlotte, he will no longer have to suffer the cruel fate of this world. He was a great Knight, and will be remembered for his loyalty. This is all that you can hope for..." His mouth was inches away from my ear as he whispers those benevolent words. "I know you loved him..." The muscles in my shoulders tighten beyond unnatural belief. He knew. "We can never chose who we love. I don't blame you."

Minutes passed of lonely silence. Jaime keeps me in his arms as I watch two guards take away Sebastian's body. I had no tears to cry, only the blank stare in my eyes reflecting my lost love that would never return.