21| The Devil's Sword

"There is only one hell. The one we live in now."

Charlotte's POV

Charlotte's POV

"He loved to watch people burn, the way their skin blackened and blistered and melted off their bones. He burned lords he didn't like. He burned Hands who disobeyed him. He burned anyone who was against him. Before long, half the country was against him."

Jaime's voice echoed throughout the Throne room as he told Myrcella, Tommen, and I the story of Aerys II Targaryen and his massive reign of destruction. Jaime was careful to not mention the involvement of the Starks, Lord Rickard and Brandon.

Lord Rickard was burned alive, whilst Brandon was forced to watch. Afterward, Brandon was strangled. This was all in an attempt to save Lyanna, my former aunt.

"He was mad, and the whole realm knew it."

"Jaime... I have a question." My uncle flips his head in my direction. "Yes, Charlotte?"

I looked down at my tightened hands. "Do you still have the sword that you killed him with?" His face twists in surprise. "I actually have it in my bedchambers..."

"Can I see it?" Tommen and Myrcella chip in as well, knowing that it would be a glorious sight to see.

The sword that killed the Mad King. 

*~*

"Be quiet, you three!" Jaime turns in the direction of the three of us. I was trying my best not to laugh as Tommen and Mycrella kept exchanging levels of curiosity, trying to beat one another. "I bet it's as big as a dragon's head!" Myrcella politely corrects Tommen. "It's just a sword, but I bet it's haunted by the Mad King's ghost!"

I softly indicate for them to be quiet, silencing the two of them. "We don't want mother knowing that we're doing this... She'll probably take away our dinner, and we don't want that happening." Myrcella turns to me with a smile. "Mother wouldn't take away your dinner. She wants you to like her."

She wants you to like her... She spoke to Myrcella about me. Isn't that an invasion of privacy? "What does she say about me, Myrcella?"

Myrcella goes to open her mouth, but we just had just arrived at Jaime's quarters. "Remember... Do not speak of this to anyone." We all nod in reply to Jaime's words. I really wanted to know what Myrcella was going to say, but I guess it would have to wait.

Jaime opens the huge doors leading to his room, and quickly closes it behind us as we enter. "It's just over here." He walks over to a locked cabinet. "I have to keep it guarded against nosy children like you." I pretend to look offended. "I am no child, Uncle."

He looks over at me. "You're a child until you get married. I don't see that happening anytime soon."

"I thought Robert was already arranging marriages in my name." Jaime's eyes widen at my words. "How did you find out? Your mother didn't want you knowing."