Chapter 20

By the next day, I was sure Luke would've forgotton about my possesion of the gun. I carefully peeled his arm away from my waist; we'd fell asleep on the couch together. There were spillages of beer all over the couch and I wondered whether he'd be bothered to clean it up. The TV was still switched on, showing some antique show on the same channel we'd watched Family Guy last night, and I wondered whether he'd be bothered to switch it off.

The first thing I noticed when I unlatched myself from Luke and noiselessly slid of the couch, is that it was freezing. His blanket which I'd been using for almost a month was folded neatly (which was obviously my doing) and placed upon the couch opposite the one Luke was sleeping on. I unfolded it and covered him with it, and then I left his house.

I didn't know what time it was, but it was light outside, and cold. Calum was just going to have to deal with my early arrival. I walked past many pedestrians, those who undoubtedly watched the news in recent days giving me funny looks, but none said anything.

It was when the fifth or sixth person walked boy when I when it hit me. The knowing that this was how I lived now, in a world where no one cares unless you can benefit them, or repay them in some way. I was glad that they took no notice because I didn't need any trouble at that moment, but a small part of me was undeniably saddened; I was deemed a missing child, or even a murderer, and they didn't care.

Soon enough I was at the hotel where Calum was staying. More or less where this all began...the funny thing was, I didn't miss home. I didn't miss being told to put my shoes away and before I've even started to complete that task, being told to do something else. I'd finished school, my parents- and even Spencer and Renee, were telling me to go to med school, be a doctor. Get a law degree, become a lawyer. Get a brain, be a smart girl. Never would they have thought that Max would get a gun and be a criminal. But it was more peace and tranquility than I was ever going to get close to getting at home.

I made my way over to the reception desk, where there stood a man who's eyes were fixed onto a piece of paper as he wrote on it.

"Hey, um, I've come to see Calum Hood." I told him directly, he tore his eyes away from the paper, but when they targeted me they almost fell out of their sockets.

Fuck.

"Max? Max Lawrence?" He stuttered, but I was off, walking casually to the elevator muttering:

"No, that's someone else."

Just as I was about to take my last step towards the elevator, a coarse hand gripped my wrist.

I spun round instantly, suprised at the sudden contact. It was the receptionist.

"Max, it's Lewis Caulfield. From high school?"

I then started to recognise the mint green eyes and the black hair; the excessive gel usage had ceased since high school but there were still traces running through his hair. But what baffled me is that he was one of the most 'gifted' (teacher's words - not mine) children in our year. I'd read his school work on more than one occasion during pair work and it blew my mind. He could also play the cello and paint like a Goddess. So what was he doing here?

"Hi Lewis," I greeted him, sounding the more enthused than I had been in a while. "How come you work here? Why are you in Stratford?"

"It's a long story," he mumbled, guiding me over to the couches neatly lined up in a square, I suppose this was where people hung out, but we were the only ones here.

Lewis ventured over to the coffee machine and poured two black drinks into small mugs. I knew I wouldn't even touch the coffee, but I accepted it with a warm smile nonetheless.

He sat beside me, cradling his drink in both hands.

"Go on - talk," I encouraged. "Why's the school's finest student working here?"

Lewis let out a long sigh, leaning back into the couch. I was leaned forwards, elbows resting on knees.

"When I left high school, I had everything planned out. Go to college, university, become a scientist and try to cure cancer and that." He started, but that's how every tragic story starts - with a promising life.

"I got into college - obviously. Went to a few parties to chill out, did some drugs. A kid called Remmie sold some cocaine to me one night walking home from a party. Long story short, I got addicted, I was doing anything I could to get another hit. So I ended up dropping out of college and moving in with my brother. I went to rehab and it worked well, now I'm just trying to get back on my feet."

I blinked.

"I'm sorry to hear that," I said, but I couldn't promise honesty in my words.

"Now you. Why are you here to see Calum Hood?" Lewis asked, eyeing me down from where his back was pressed into his sofa. They felt like lasers on the back of my head.

I gave him a quick nod to show I had heard his question so I could pick up my mug of coffee and stall for an answer without him repeating the question.

It was wretched, but I hadn't expected any better. I was strictly confined to drinking nothing but orange juice, lemonade and beer.
That's the way I liked it.

"Family friend." I straight up lied. Lewis and I never had the best relationship back in the day; I didn't owe him the truth. Besides, in this situation, perhaps lies were safer than the truth.

"Mhmm - Max and I go way back."

---

I've actually got plans for the next chapters so I can write something instead of staring at a blank chapter for 30 minutes.

Thank you so much for 2.3k and for your feedback

I may start editing previous chapters

Goodbye and im so foking awkward im sorry