Chapter 9 - Nightmares

Trigger Warning: abuse

"You're a disgrace, Dean Winchester! You should have died in that fire, not her! Without you this world would be better off! Go and just kill yourself, you would do the world a favour, especially Sam!"

Dean whimpered and closed his eyes, cowering back against the wall. He knew what would come, he knew that his father would hit him - it was just a matter of minutes until he would get beaten up.

"You are so weak. I don't know why a son of mine is such a pathetic weak coward. Leaves one conclusion: you're not my son."

As soon as Dean lifted his head and stared at John with wide eyes, he knew he had made a mistake.

His father's fist instantly connected with his chin, making his head fly back and Dean whimper. But, as if this wasn't enough already, John Winchester kicked Dean's rips, smiling grimly as he heard the sickening sound of bones breaking.

Dean cried out in pain and tried to protect his rips from further damage, only exposing his back that way. John instantly took his opportunity and kicked Dean's back, making him only whimper louder.

*~*

"Sam, what's the matter? Why are you crying?" Castiel asked softly and wrapped his arm around the younger boy's shoulders. Sam scooted closer to his new friend and shrugged slightly. Castiel soon felt the part of his shirt where Sam hid his face getting wet. "Sam? What happened?"

Sam looked up, looking sadder than Cas had seen the boy ever before.

"Dean.. he's whimpering in his sleep and I tried to wake him up but he doesn't wake up and I'm so scared because he's probably having a nightmare and they usually are about our dad and what he did to him and he will hurt himself when he wakes up because his dreams make him feel worthless and-" Sam rambled, only to be interrupted by Cas who covered his mouth.

"I'll see what I can do, alright? You go to your room and do something to calm yourself down and distract your mind. There's no use when you're panicking."

Sam opened his mouth to complain but then he closed it again, nodding in defeat. He knew Castiel was right, that he couldn't be useful when he was panicking and he also knew that Cas would be able to handle the situation with Dean just right.

*~*

"You failed another class? Really? How dumb are you to not even pass a single subject? Did you lose your brain by accident?" John Winchester snarled, looking at his son's test with disappointment.

Dean let his head hang down low and shrugged slightly, knowing that answering wouldn't have any use anyways. He also knew that not answering would get him in trouble too but he chose the latter because the beating was inevitable.

"Why can't you just be like your brother? At least he is able to get A's in whatever subject," John taunted and grinned evilly. He knew that he would just have to compare his sons if he wanted to hurt Dean the most. The blonde deserved it after all, didn't he?

*~*

"Dean? Hey, buddy, wake up.." Cas said softly, gently shaking his friend's shoulder. He didn'tget any reaction at all, leaving him more worried than before.

He knew about Dean's night terrors, knew that they were horrible and a constant reminder of the Winchester's past but he had never experienced such a bad episode. Dean always had woken up quickly and reassured Sam and Castiel that he was alright but this time was different.

The only thing showing that Dean was still alive was the slight movement of his chest and the quiet whimpers escaping his lips.

Castiel just wanted to wrap Dean up in his arms, tell him everything would be alright, hum gently until the blonde would fall asleep and stay there to keep away those horrible nightmares. He wanted to see that beautiful smile he liked so much more often. He wanted his best friend to be happy. He wanted Dean to fall in love with someone that could make him happy and protect him from the heavy weight of the world.

Sadly, Cas couldn't be that person. Not that he didn't already have a tiny - gigantic - crush on Dean and that he wouldn't do everything for his best friend but... firstly he didn't know if his friend was gay and secondly he knew that Dean would never feel the same for him.

*~*

Another hit. Another kick. Another insult screamed at him. Repeat.

Shattering of a bottle.

Glass to his skin. Carving the words 'disgrace', 'worthless' and 'idiot' in his skin.

Red everywhere. Blood.

When would this end?

*~*

Castiel started to panic. Why didn't Dean wake up? What was the blonde dreaming of to make him look so pained and whimper so loudly every once in a while?

If it wasn't Dean, Castiel wouldn't even have cared. But it was Dean after all, making him care more than ever. He hadn't ever cared that much about any other person, not even his brother Gabriel and he loved Gabriel more than anything. But Dean just had to be different, just had to be that perfect person.

Slowly, carefully, Castiel wrapped his arms around Dean and combed his fingers through the dirty blonde hair.

"I'm here, Dean. I will keep you safe," he whispered gently. "I won't let anything bad happen to you."

*~*

"I'm here, Dean. I will keep you safe. I won't let anything bad happen to you."

Dean opened his eyes slightly and looked around, curious to where that voice was coming from. He just saw a light but rather than feeling freaked out he felt comforted by that light, felt safe. He knew that light would stay by his side, knew that it would keep his father away. He didn't know why he knew that but he didn't even care that he didn't knew. He was just glad that his pain decreased instantly.

"I will try to save you, Dean, and I don't care if thats the last thing I will ever do." The light whispered softly and moved closer to Dean.

As soon as the blonde was engulfed in the warmth of the light he felt all of his wounds heal, felt lighter, happier. And he realized that the light felt familiar, that he felt like he was wrapped up in Castiel's arms.

Then he smiled. Of course Cas would be his saviour, his angel. After all, saviour will be there, right?

*~*

Castiel felt Dean stir after around an hour and looked over to his friend that had a small smile on his lips. Cas almost cooed at how adorable Dean looked but held it back, not wanting his friend to freak out.

"You know what, Cas?" Dean asked huskily. Cas just shook his head and tried not to feel too turned on by how sexy Dean sounded.

"You truly are an angel and my saviour."

_________________________

Hey people!

Sorry for the long wait (again).... I'm lazy and ugh. Packing annoys me.

Hope you enjoyed ^-^

Stay awesome and see you next time <3