Untitled Part 17

Today was Dean's first therapy session with the Doctor and he was quite scared to be honest. He didn't know what he had to do or say and what the Doctor would ask him. The questions scared him the most, what if they were too personal? It had been so hard to open up to Cas, how hard would it be to open up to a stranger?

This practically lead to Dean being the most nervous he had been in a long time. He hardly had gotten anything down at breakfast, and of course he had noticed the worried stares of one of the nurses who probably already told the Doctor. That would only make it more awkward than necessary, more awkward than it already would be.

But how should he help himself? He just had to get through with it, get well enough so the Doctor would allow him to go back home. He just had to grit his teeth and make everyone believe he was better and then he would be able to go home and go on a date with Cas – probably this was his biggest reasons to actually try and get better.

*~*

Taking a deep breath, Dean knocked on the Doctor's office door and then waited until he got an answer and entered the room. It's furniture was wooden, some light tone Dean couldn't name, and there were a few photographs on the walls, next to some certificates. On most pictures were the Doctor and a gorgeous blonde woman, probably his girlfriend or wife but since Dean hadn't seen any ring on the Doctor's hand, he guessed it was his girlfriend.

The Doctor, who was sitting at the other side of the big desk, smiled at him and nodded at the other chair, signalling him that he had to sit down there. Dean sighed quietly and sat down, but looked anywhere than to the Doctor.

"Well, Dean, you don't have to be nervous. You don't have to share anything with me you don't want to share and I definitely won't make you tell me anything. It would help if you shared everything with me, yes, but I don't quite like that way of working with people, especially when they are so young like you are. You still will have to tell me some things, we can't change that in order for you getting better but I will give you the time you need to open up to me." The Doctor comforted his young patient, keeping his voice soft and gentle, knowing that anything else would just scare the adolescent.

After all those years of studying and then working he had some practice with young people, probably why he had specialised on them. He found it quite interesting how they thought, how they acted when set a task. He had noticed that most of them were just scared of many things but that still didn't stop them from being amazing at whatever they wanted. He believed that every single one of them was amazing.

Funnily they often didn't realize that on their own. Most of the time they were used to being scolded, shunned or told to be quiet. Rarely they were treated like they deserved – as the intelligent future for everyone, the amazing, diverse generation. John himself couldn't do anything against that, most people wouldn't stop that anyways but he could teach the adolescents that their opinion mattered, that they and everything they'd do was important, no matter what it was.

But even with this policy of treating teenagers he sometimes got cases that even were too much for him – Dean could be one of those. As far as the Doctor knew, Dean had had one of the toughest childhoods possible with his mother dying when he was just four, constantly moving and having nothing to keep him steady, and an abusive father. Of course, Dean wasn't the only teen to whom this had been happening to but Dean was the first one the Doctor had to work with. He obviously hadn't worked out any techniques to handle this yet but he was pretty confident that he soon would work out one, together with Dean.

Dean though was quite surprised at those words. He had thought he would have to tell everything, that the Doctor would make him spill out all he was thinking about. He obviously wouldn't complain about this method though, he was glad about it. Still he couldn't quite understand what they should be talking about now, with him not having to share anything he didn't like to share. What was the use of therapy when he didn't talk about himself?