Chapter Two:

CHAPTER TWO:

Italy, Volterra: The Volturi

"Masters, you summoned us?"

"Ah, Jane, dear one," trilled Master Aro, "Felix and Demetri too- I have a very important job for you!"

Jane tilted her head, interest clear on her face. When the irritating Corin had summoned her, she'd originally been annoyed at the interruption. The stupid girl was young, moronic and absolutely in love with Master Aro- it was pathetic, and she hated the way Master Aro humored her, and dearly wished that he hadn't forbade Jane from using her Gift on her.

Corin thought she was special, like she was the only one who Master Aro had recruited personally, that she was the only one he had taught to read and write, and speak different human tongues. That she was oh-so unique with her Gift- she wasn't. Master Aro had rescued Jane and Alec himself from the stake, when their village had tried burning them alive. He'd had his eye on them from when they were not even ten years old; he'd seen their potential. He had been the one to Turn them- pathetic Corin's Turning had been an accident, some vampire snacking on prostitutes had got his teeth in her neck, and was too lazy to finish the job.

Jane had personally hunted him down and tortured him until he begged for death for his oversight.

Jane really disliked Corin.

Still, Corin's news that her Masters wanted to see her, Felix and Demetri was promising- the three of them, as well as her dear twin on occasion, were his most successful execution team, and they were sent out whenever a stupid vampire, or group of vampires, broke the laws the Masters had put in place to hide the existence of vampires from.

"How can we help, Masters?" she asked them. "Is it to do with the Cullen's human pet?" she added, hopefully.

If Jane really disliked Corin, then she hated the Cullens. She hated how Master Aro wanted Alice Cullen so desperately, and more then that, she despised how that worthless human had done something to her beloved Masters, something that made them let her go free. She had threatened Jane's Masters! She would die screaming for that, Jane would make sure of it- personally.

"We have a task for you, dear ones," Master Aro informed them, "a vampire is creating a newborn army in America- and very close to where the Cullens currently reside." Jane's eyes widened, and she smiled eagerly.

"The Cullens are making an army?" If they were, then nothing could stop her Masters from ordering their deaths, and no vampire would ever even think they deserved anything other then annihilation for breaking the rules that had kept the vampires safe for millennia.

And when the Cullens were dead, the worthless human would have no one left to protect her.

"I do not believe the Cullens are creating the army," Master Aro said, and disappointment had Jane's shoulders hunching, "but," continued her Master, "I believe we can use this to our advantage. Whoever is creating this army has broken the rules- they are threatening our exposure and are sentenced to death, as in accordance to our laws. And they will be... but first there is something they can do for us."

"There is, Master?"

"Yes. Why do you think an army is being created so far from the South, where they are usually amassed? Why Seattle? There's no one there the creator needs to fight for the territory. No, I believe the army is being created for a different purpose entirely. Vengeance."

Vengeance. That was something Jane was very familiar with.

"Master... you think someone is creating an army to destroy a coven, in revenge?" she asked.