Chapter Thirty:

CHAPTER THIRTY:

The two vampires glistened like diamonds in the sun. I could barely look at the blond boy– yes, he was just a boy, though he was muscular and tall, maybe my age when he was changed, or a year or two older. His eyes, however– the irises a more vivid red than I had ever seen before– were not the ones to hold mine.

Because, a few feet to the side and a few feet back, Victoria was staring at me.

Her orange hair was brighter than I'd remembered, more like a flame. There was no wind here, but the fire around her face seemed to shimmer slightly, as if it were alive.

Her eyes were black with thirst. She did not smile, as she did in my nightmares– her lips were pressed into a tight line. There was a striking feline quality to the way she held her coiled body, a lioness waiting for an opening to spring. Her restless, wild gaze flickered between the, to her, strangers surrounding me, but never rested on them for more than a half-second. She could not keep her eyes from my face any more than I could keep mine from hers.

Tension rolled off of her, nearly visible in the air. I could feel the desire, the all-consuming passion that held her in its grip. Almost as if I could hear her thoughts, I knew what she was thinking.

She was so close to what she wanted– the focus of her whole existence for more than a year now was just so close.

My death.

The blond boy looked at Victoria from the corner of his eye, waiting on her command, but it was Qiang who acted first.

The fact that she was an adult witch, who had more magical knowledge and training then any of the rest of us, had never quite been so clear to me until that moment, when towering sheets of flames roared into existence, circling the peak and trapping the two vampires in the small mountain clearing with us. I could feel the heat of the flames on my face, and the snow on the ground was melting, mixing with the earth underneath to sludge.

The raw fear on the two vampires' faces, shocked and desperate and horrified, would be comical, if it weren't for the situation. Harry and Hermione were the next to move; Hermione conjuring a shimmering shield, while Harry blasted a curse at the blonde vampire, a violent curse that exploded a chunk out of the cliff face behind him when the vampire dodged the spell.

Victoria swiftly darted away from the curse Ron sent towards her, while Luna conjured up a shield of her own that the red-haired vampire collided with, when she made to pounce at me.

Adrenaline raced through my veins as, in that moment, I fully realized Victoria's resolve. It seemed that, for once, escape was the last thing on the older vampire's mind– she had accepted that she was trapped, and instead of trying to find a way to escape, like her instincts must have been screaming, she intended to stay and fight to kill me instead.

Fighting vampires was not easy– they were fast, blindingly so, and inhumanely strong; lethal, deadly, killing machines. Spells flashed rapidly, lighting up the clearing, and I heard the blonde vampire let out an enraged shout of pain, which was nearly drowned out by a triumphant howl. A brief glance in my peripheral showed that Seth had entered the fray, the tan wolf having tackled the blonde, and processing to rip into the vampire with his sharp teeth, one of the very few things in existence that could pierce a vampire's diamond-hard skin.

Victoria let out a shriek of rage, pulling my attention back to her, as one of Hermione's spells finally clipped her, and something hard and white went flying past me, into the surrounding flames. An oily tendril of purple smoke joined the darker smoke from the fire, and a scent of a sickly incense began polluting the air.