Chapter Eight:

CHAPTER EIGHT:

"Are they going to fade any more?" I ask. I'm in my bedroom, practically naked. Qiang has me standing in only a bra and panties, my arms spread. I'm uncomfortable with her close scrutiny as she walks around me in a tight circle, my entire body bare before her critical eye.

"Yes, but not much more." She says, finally. I look down at my body and wince slightly. The livid red scars have faded to light pink lines that crisscross my flesh, no longer eye-catching, but hard to look away from once you noticed. I could keep most of them hidden from curious eyes- my face was scar-free, with only a single pink line that started by my ear, trailed along jawline, down the side of my neck, then down over my collarbone. A bit of concealer basically hid it from view.

My arms were in the worst shape due to shielding my face during the disastrous apparation, scarred from shoulder to wrist, the skin irregular from where it had had to be regrown. As compared to that, the pink lines that sunk into my skin wrapping around my torso, stretched from the base of my skull to halfway down my thighs, crisscrossing my stomach and chest, including my breasts were tamer, more faded.

It was only in my arms that I felt residual pain, with the skin having been practically flayed off, both elbows dislocated, one shattered, a wrist broken in two places, and a dislocated shoulder. Not pleasant.

"The skin on your arms won't heal anymore then they already have." Qiang said bluntly. "Unstable, uncontrolled magic leaves its mark, and there's only so much you can do to fade it. There's muggle surgery you can get to reduce the scarring, which is certainly a future option, but I'd wait a month or two first. The rest of the scarring will continue to fade, not completely, but more then it currently is."

"So good news and bad news." I summarise.

"Yes," agreed Qiang. "I feel I should warn you there's chances the scarring will remain if you are Turned."

My whole body stiffens, and my arms drop to my sides, then cross in a natural, defensive motion. There was no way to miss the capital 'T' emphasized when she said 'Turned'.

"You're talking about becoming a vampire." I say, my tone sharper then I actually intended for it to be.

"Well you're considering it, surely," Qiang says, arching a fine black eyebrow. "Your mate is a vampire. Witches and wizards may live longer lives then muggles, but certainly not for centuries. If you want to be with your vampire, eventually you'll have to be bitten."

I step back, away from Qiang. "I've had enough for today." I tell her, my voice not exactly steady. "I'd like you to leave." Her sharp eyes meet mine.

"Avoiding the issue won't make it go away." She says.

"I don't know about that," I counter, "chances are I'll die before I'll have to consider being... Turned."

"Are you referring to Britain's current political climate, or the vampire hunting you?" Qiang asks.

"I don't know, both of them!" I snap. Qiang tilts her head slightly, then retrieves something from the pocket of her cheongsam. It looks like a shrunken metal box, and as Qiang held it out to me I accepted it cautiously.

"What is it?" I asked, weighing it carefully in a hand.

"A medical kit. Filled with everything from blood-replenishing potions, to essence of dittany, to bezoars. Carry it with you always." She ordered.

"I... thank you." Qiang nodded briskly.

"When you're ready to talk about the effects vampire venom has on a witch or wizard, you know how to contact me." She says. She pulls a small book out of her pocket, enlargening it with the tap of her wand, and passing it to me with a significant look before sweeping from my bedroom.