Chapter Nine:

*Warning: mildly explicit content ahead.*

CHAPTER NINE:

I was dizzy and had to remind myself to breathe, but I was beginning to feel cautiously optimistic. Perhaps getting what I wanted would not be as difficult as I'd expected it to be?

No, of course it was going to be just exactly that difficult.

With a low chuckle, Edward pulled me away, holding me at arm's length.

"I love you," he said, his eyes liquid and warm.

"Yeah, me too," I said, breathless.

He set me gently on my feet. I wrapped both my arms around him, refusing to allow any space between us. He chuckled softly, scooping me up once more, and nearly flying up the stairs to my room.

With a smirk, he dropped me on my bed and I let out a squawk as I fell with a slight thump, bouncing on the mattress. He laughed at the pout I sent him, before settling down next to me.

I leaned into him, ducking my head under his arm and cuddling into his side. It probably felt similar to snuggling with Michelangelo's David, except that this perfect marble creature wrapped his arms around me to pull me closer.

It seemed like a good place to start.

"Can we discuss something? I'd appreciate it if you could begin by being open-minded."

He hesitated for a moment. "I'll give it my best effort," he agreed, cautious now. I opened my mouth, shut it, then opened it again but didn't say anything, struggling to find exactly the right words to open with.

"Listen to your heart fly," he murmured. "It's fluttering like a hummingbird's wings. Are you all right?"

"I'm great." My voice was a bit squeaky, ducking my head to examine the faint scarring on the backs of my hands like it was the most fascinating thing I'd ever seen.

"Please go on then," Edward encouraged.

I still didn't know how to begin. I felt his eyes watching me and I was afraid to look up. The blood began to burn in my face.

His cool fingers brushed my cheek. "You're blushing?" he asked in surprise. I kept my eyes down.

"Please, Bella, the suspense is painful."

I bit my lip.

"Bella." His tone reproached me now, reminded me that it was hard for him when I kept my thoughts to myself. Well, tough. He could see what it was like for the rest of us who had to rely on communication.

Of course, I was struggling a bit with the whole 'communicating' thing right now. Taking a deep breath, I looked up at his face.

"Edward," I said, unable to help my nerves. "There's something that I want to do."

He waited for me to continue. I didn't. My face was all hot.

"Whatever you want," he encouraged, anxious and completely clueless.

"Do you promise?" I asked, knowing my attempt to trap him with his words was not going to work, but unable to resist.

"Yes," he said. His eyes were earnest and confused. "Tell me what you want, and you can have it."

I couldn't believe how awkward and idiotic I felt. I was too innocent- which was, of course, central to the discussion. I didn't have the faintest idea how to be seductive. I would just have to settle for flushed and self-conscious.