Chapter Eighteen:

CHAPTER EIGHTEEN:

I spotted a swish of dirty-blond hair out of the corner of my eye, over by the center of the Hall, and I practically leap after it, pulling Katie alongside me. There were so many people, absolutely everywhere. What looked like the families and friends of every Hogwarts student who had remained to fight, along with the shop-keepers and homeowners of Hogsmeade, were pouring into through the wide-open doorway of the Entrance Hall. Three magnificent-looking centaurs burst into the hall with a great clatter of hooves, as the door that led to the kitchens was blasted off its hinges.

The house-elves of Hogwarts swarmed into the entrance hall, screaming and waving carving knives and cleavers. At their head was an old, wrinkly looking house-elf with a bullfrog's voice audible even above this din: "Fight! Fight! Fight for my Master, defender of house-elves! Fight the Dark Lord, in the name of brave Regulus! Fight!"

They were hacking and stabbing at the ankles and shins of Death Eaters, their tiny faces alive with malice, and everywhere I looked Death Eaters were folding under sheer weight of numbers, overcome by spells, dragging arrows from wounds, stabbed in the leg by elves, or else simply attempting to escape, but swallowed by the oncoming horde.

But it was not over yet. Voldemort was in the center of the battle, and he was striking and smiting all within reach.

I fought my way stubbornly towards where I'd spotted Luna, even as the Great Hall became more and more crowded as everyone who could walk forced their way inside.

I saw Yaxley slammed to the floor by George and Lee Jordan, saw Dolohov fall with a scream at Flitwick's hands, saw Walden Macnair thrown across the room by Hagrid, hit the stone wall opposite, and slide unconscious to the ground. I saw Ron and Neville bringing down Fenrir Greyback. Aberforth Stunning Rookwood, Mr. Weasley and Percy Weasley flooring Thicknesse, and Lucius and Narcissa Malfoy running through the crowd, not even attempting to fight, screaming for their son.

Voldemort was now dueling McGonagall, Slughorn, Auror Shacklebolt all at once, and there was a cold hatred in his face as they wove and ducked around him, unable to finish him- Bellatrix Lestrange was still fighting too, fifty yards away from Voldemort, and like her master she dueled three at once: Hermione, Ginny and Luna, all battling their hardest, but Bellatrix was equal to them, more so even, and I watched in horror as a sickly orange-colored spell flew towards Luna.

"NO!" I screamed, reaching her just in time to shove her out of the path of the curse, unintentionally putting myself in the line of fire as I did so. The layers of clothing I was wearing were ripped away by the spell, revealing a long line of pale skin suddenly gaping open from ribs to knee, spewing forth blood, slicing me open like a slaughtered animal.

I cried out, once, a weak sound that didn't nearly portray the severe degree of sudden, literal side-splitting agony I was in, and dropped to my knees, one arm curling around my ribcage instinctually, the other still trying to keep my wand steady against Bellatrix Lestrange.

Bellatrix hadn't even paused, hadn't spared me a second look, already casting a Killing Curse that shot so close to Ginny that my friend missed death by an inch-

"NOT MY DAUGHTER, YOU BITCH!"

Mrs. Weasley threw off her cloak as she ran, freeing her arms, Bellatrix spun on the spot, cackling with laughter at the sight of the new challenger.

"OUT OF MY WAY!" shouted Mrs. Weasley, and with a simple swipe of her wand she began to duel.

I let out pained, gasping breaths that felt like fire, and Luna was kneeling beside me. She looked horrendous; she'd been caught in the spray of my blood and her face appeared as if someone had gone overboard with red paint on it, her hair and clothes too.