Chapter Twenty-Eight:

CHAPTER TWENTY-EIGHT:

A restless sleep that night was followed by an equally restless day. I had done all that I could do. I tried to accept that, and put the things that were outside of my control out of my head, for tonight at least. One way or another, this would all be over in forty-eight hours. The thought was almost comforting.

Edward had requested that I relax, and I was going to do my best.

"For this one night, could we try to forget everything besides just you and me?" he'd pleaded, unleashing the full force of his eyes on me. "It seems like I can never get enough time like that. I need to be with you. Just you."

That was not a hard request to agree to.

I'd hugged and kissed my father goodbye and received assurances from him that he'd spend the day after tomorrow with Billy. I then drove, for once, to the Cullens home, instead of apparating. The familiar motions of driving were soothing, almost, as was the sound of Edward's soft humming from the passenger seat. It was after dark when we reached the house, but in spite of that, the meadow was bright in the light shining from every window.

As soon as I cut the engine Edward was at my door, opening it for me. He lifted me from the cab with one arm, slinging my bag out of the truck bed and over his shoulder with the other. His lips found mine as I heard him kick the truck's door shut behind me.

Without breaking the kiss, he swung me up so that I was cradled in his arms and carried me into the house.

Was the front door already open? I didn't know. We were inside, though, and I was dizzy. I had to remind myself to breathe.

This kissing did not frighten me. It wasn't like when I could feel the fear and panic leaking through his control. His lips were not anxious, but enthusiastic now— he seemed as thrilled as I was that we had tonight to concentrate on being together. He continued to kiss me for several minutes, standing there in the entry; he seemed less guarded than usual, his mouth cold and urgent on mine.

After what seemed like a heavenly slice of eternity, Edward pulled away. "Welcome home," he said, his eyes liquid and warm.

"That sounds nice," I said, breathless.

He set me gently on my feet and I wrapped both my arms around him, refusing to allow any space between us.

"I have something for you," he said, his tone conversational.

"Oh?"

"I never got you a graduation present- I feel terrible about it." He says. I roll my eyes.

"You know you didn't need to," I tell him, but he shakes his head.

"It was an oversight on my part that I intend to correct," he says, and I laugh.

"Fine- where's my present?"

"It's up in my room. Shall I go get it?"

His bedroom? I'd certainly already considered furthering our... explorations tonight, and this seemed like the perfect segue. "Sure," I agreed, feeling quite mischievous as I wound my fingers through his. "Let's go."

He must have been eager to give me my graduation gift, because human velocity apparently wasn't fast enough for him. He scooped me up again and nearly flew up the stairs to his room. He set me down at the door, and darted into his closet.

He was back before I'd taken a step, but I ignored him and went to the huge bed, plopping down on the edge and then sliding to the center. Edward climbed onto the bed to sit next to me, and lifted my left wrist, pulling it towards him and touching the silver bracelet for just a moment, then giving me my arm back.