Chapter Twelve:

CHAPTER TWELVE:

Unidentified location, Britain: Harry Potter

"I saw him find out about the cup- I was in his head, he's-" Harry remembered the killings. "He's seriously angry, and scared too, he can't understand how we knew, and now he's going to check the others are safe, the ring first. He things the Hogwarts one is safest, because Snape's there, because it'll be so hard not to be seen getting in. I think he'll check that one last, but he could still be there within hours!"

"Did you see where in Hogwarts it is?" asked Ron, now scrambling to his feet too.

"No, he was concentrating on warning Snape, he didn't think about exactly where it is-"

"Wait, wait!" cried Hermione as Ron caught up to the Horcrux and Harry pulled out the Invisibility Cloak again. "We can't just go, we haven't got a plan, we need to-"

"We need to get going," said Harry firmly. He had been hoping to sleep, looking forward to getting into the new tent, but that was impossible now, "Can you imagine what he's going to do once he realizes the ring and the locket are gone? What if he moves the Hogwarts Horcrux, decides it isn't safe enough?"

"But how are we going to get in?"

"We'll go to Hogsmeade," said Harry, "and try to work something out once we see what the protection around the school's like. Get under the Cloak, Hermione, I want to stick together this time."

"But we don't really fit-"

"It'll be dark, no one's going to notice our feet."

The flapping of enormous wings echoed across the black water. The dragon had drunk its fill and risen into the air. They paused in their preparations to watch it climb higher and higher, now black against the rapidly darkening sky, until it vanished over a nearby mountain. Then Hermione walked forward and took her place between the other two, Harry pulled the Cloak down as far as it would go, and together they turned on the spot into the crushing darkness.

-

-

When we enter my house, Edward waits in the car. It was all very childish in my opinion. Why couldn't they both just ignore each other? Weren't we past this kind of immaturity? I don't bother to hold back my sigh, fully aware that both he and Jacob, with their enhanced hearing, will be able to hear my displeasure.

Jacob is already waiting in the house, sitting on the couch. "Charlie's at the rez," he informs me. "I got Embry to drive him over." I nod my thanks.

"Did you recognize the scent?" I ask, getting straight to the point. Jacob screws up his nose.

"Urgh, no. And your room stinks, by the way."

"I'll buy some air-freshener then!" I narrow my eyes threateningly at him, and Jacob holds up his hands.

"Whoa, what's got you so upset?" he asks. I glare harder.

"Is it really so impossible to wear clothes?" I demand. Jacob was bare-chested, wearing nothing but a pair of old cut-off jeans. Jacob ran a hand through his wet hair; it was falling in his eyes.

"It's just easier," he explained.

"What's easier?"

"It's enough of a pain to carry the shorts around with me, let alone a complete outfit. What do I look like, a pack mule?" Jacob rolled his eyes.

I frowned, annoyed. "What are you talking about?"

His expression was superior, like I was missing something obvious. "My clothes don't just pop in and out of existence when I change- I have to carry them with me while I run. Pardon me for keeping my burden light."