Chapter 1

A/N: Hi everyone! I hope you enjoy the first chapter. Feel free to vote, comment or ask any questions! :)

Beep... beep... beep...

My alarm clock read 7:15. I groaned and smashed my hand down on the alarm clock causing the annoying beeping to stop. I groggily stumbled out of bed and selected my outfit for the day. I pulled on a pair of white skinny jeans, beat up black converse, and a navy blue t-shirt with a bow tie and bow ties are cool printed on it in white. Once I was fully clothed, I made my way for the bathroom and examined myself in the mirror.

I looked awful...

Well then again I was up half the night working on a project that was due this morning. Which I still had yet to finish. I let out a low groan as let out my waist length curly dark brown hair from a high bun. It was sticking out in all sorts of directions making me look like I was from the jungle. My face was paler than usual and there were dark circles under my brown eyes. With a sigh I attempted to tame my mane by brushing it out, but it only made it bushier so I tied it into a high ponytail with a white ribbon. Deciding that I looked decent enough and was too tired to put any makeup on, I grabbed my black messenger bag and a grey sweatshirt before heading out the door.

The weather was fairly warm for late October, with only a light breeze whipping gently at my skin. The streets of Salem, Massachusetts were slightly busier than usual due to the Halloween season. Even at this hour of the morning there were still a few witches roaming the streets setting up displays of ingredients needed for spells or signs offering tarot readings.

I walked down the street to a cute little coffee shop called "The Brew". The lovely smell of freshly made coffee filled my nostrils leaving a warm feeling of content spread throughout my body. I ordered a small hot chocolate and took a seat at a table right outside of the shop. I sipped at my hot chocolate enjoying the creamy richness of my beverage in perfect contrast with the smell of crisp autumn leaves taking their fall. My calm reverie was disrupted suddenly, when I remembered that I had failed to finish my homework last night. With a heavy sigh I pulled out my sketchbook along with an HB pencil and a kneadable eraser. I stared at the half finished sketch in front of me. There was still something off about it. I erased it yet again and began sketching yet another made up alien character for one of my many Illustration courses.

"Hi Claire!" My head perked up at the mention of my name. Two of my life long friends Maia and Danae both with coffee cups in their hands sat at the table beside me.

"How are you?" Danae asked a sweet smile on her face.

"You know, the usual..." I answered with a heavy sigh as I erased my alien for what seemed like the eleventh time. I threw my pencil down in frustration. "I have the worst case of artist's block right now!" I grumbled rubbing my temples.

"It's ok... It happens to the best of us." Danae answered taking a sip of her coffee. Her blue-green eyes glanced back up at me through her black-framed glasses.

"Yah, it just can't come soon enough... This sketch is due in an hour...and I can't seem to come up with an alien that looks good enough."

"How about you make it a human with lizard type features... that could easily pass off as an alien."

"I've tried that..." I moaned when suddenly a small spark of inspiration hit me. "No wait! I got it!" Ideas started popping into my head as I sketched out a humanoid-lizard-creature. I dressed it in old roman armor with intricate alchemist signs engraved in the metal. I was really beginning to get into my drawing when Maia cleared her throat loudly breaking my sudden artist frenzy. I looked up at her only to see a Cheshire cat worthy smile plastered across her lips, her light blue eyes sparkling with mischief. Not a good sign.