Contrast

"Wake uuuup!" Sayaka kicked the mattress that was on the floor of her bedroom.

Wearing red pajamas, Kyouko was asleep. "Hmmm... Mami... let me sleep a little longer... mmm" She did not open her eyes.

Sayaka, at hearing Mami's name, had an idea. "Huhu~! What a pity~. I just prepared an apple pie~. It's still warm~."

"Pie?!" Kyouko rose in a jump. However, whom she saw was not Mami but a girl with blue eyes and hair, with a sarcastic smile. She was already dressed in her school uniform.

"Oh... yeah. I'm in the world of that nutty." Kyouko said as she returned to lie down.

Sayaka held Kyouko's arm before she lay her head on the mattress. "Noooooo! Today we have class, you know?"

Kyouko rolled her eyes. "Oooh, I can't believe it! I hafta go to school! And on Saturday?! Can't I cut it?"

"You can't or she will suspect something." Sayaka said.

"Tch..." Kyouko started pulling the arm that Sayaka was holding. "Yeah okay. You can lemme go."

Sayaka hesitated for a moment before releasing it.

Kyouko fell and rolled on the mattress to reach the ground. Then stood up and shook her head to throw her ponytail back. "What a bore."

"Look. I even let you sleep a little more while I get changed." Sayaka said as she watched Kyouko, apparently looking for something.

"Um. Thanks. Where is my survival kit..." Kyouko went toward the bed table. Sayaka's room was typical of a middle-class girl: curtains and wallpaper of pink color, a dresser, a closet, a desk for her computer. What could attract some attention were the stuffed animals: aquatic creatures such as fish and octopus, and a frog with a crown, who was patiently awaiting the kiss of a princess.

Kyouko approached the bed table and saw the frames that was on it. They contained pictures of her with Sayaka, but were photos of 'another Kyouko' in which she had only fading memories.

"Right there!" Kyouko grabbed a box of Pocky brand candy sticks in the drawer.

If there was something that Kyouko and the 'other Kyouko' had in common was the taste! The sticks made of sweet biscuit, with one half covered with a layer of chocolate were the best thing that was made on the face of Ear...

"Shit!" Kyouko dropped the box, letting it fall to the ground.

"Kyouko?" Sayaka was surprised by the sudden reaction of Kyouko.

Kyouko ignored the question, staring at her left hand, more specifically to the base of her middle finger. There was a ring with runes inscribed on it. "Shit! Shit! Holy shit!"

Focusing her attention on that ring, Kyouko soon saw a bright red light appears just above it. Then a gem materialized and gently landed on the palm of the hand.

The jewel has the shape and size of an egg. The base and adornments were golden and involved a gem of bright red color, but with some dark lines in it that looked like dirt floating in a liquid. A weak red light illuminated the room.

"Your soul gem!" Sayaka said, realizing that she had forgotten something important.

Kyouko breathed, relieved but confused. "It's clean, but how is it possible? I didn't purify it all this time..." The red eyes that stared the jewelry turned toward Sayaka. "You know something?"

"I didn't even think about it." Sayaka's vision kept alternating between Kyouko and the soul gem on her hand.

"Jeez, didn't you check yours?" Incredulous, Kyouko asked.