Informal invitation

Sunday. Paris. Night.

With 324 meters of height, the Eiffel Tower receives hundreds of visitors every day, but not like this one.

Balancing on the edge of the tower, Homura Akemi was waiting. The deafening wind was flapping violently in her hair, dress and dark wings. However, it was not able to get her off of her post.

Gradually they began to emerge. It first appeared in the air like a hologram, strange images that looked like the snowing of a television. It was known by the magical girls as miasma. From the miasma, materialized men wearing white robes covering the whole body. On their faces was only possible to distinguish the mouth, the rest was covered by the miasma. They came in many sizes, some were the same size of a person, others were bigger than buildings.

Demons.

Homura knew very well what she was witnessing. These creatures are one of the legacies of Madoka's fatidic wish. They replaced the witches as human's curse representatives. Parasites of emotions, they haunt and consume every value that humans have for life.

To be able to see and hurt them, were task of magical girls to hunt them every night. Compared with a witch, a demon was much weaker. But they were very dangerous because they attacked in bands. The demons used lasers from the tip of their fingers as weapons. A careless girl could be burned and cut into many pieces by bursts coming from all directions in an instant. Teamwork was essential and being thankful, for having survived another night, a norm.

But that is the past.

Homura extended her left hand and, after a violet glow, she was holding a black bow. With her right hand, she pulled the bow and an energy arrow appeared ready to be fired. Violet energy sparks leaving the arrow lit Homura's face.

By pointing the bow, not towards the demons that were below but to the sky. When she released the arrow, it flew so high that she could not distinguish its shine with the stars. Until a light explosion occurred and purple lines crossed the sky in all directions, forming an abstract drawing of a spider web.

From these lines started falling energy arrows. They persecuted and destroyed all the demons, wherever they were, without causing any damage to the city. They had no chance of reaction.

Precise. Lethal. Perfect.

The drawing was gradually disappearing in the sky as well as the bow in hand of Homura. She jumped from the tower and flew toward the ground. Unfortunately, the longest part of work would start now.

Homura flew at hyper speed through the streets of Paris, but left no vacuum, for at that moment she was immaterial. She was able to go through people and objects without any disorder and without anyone noticing. The goal was to collect the grief cubes that demons left behind. If they were not collected, demons would reborn from those cubes.

Where Homura passed, the nearby cubes vibrated and disintegrated. They leave a dark smoke that spiraled toward the top of her left hand and then was absorbed.

It was a boring job, but necessary to protect the world where Madoka exists. This weekend was very exhausting for Homura, because she had to make up for the lost time with Mami.

"Huh?"

Defying all laws of inertia, Homura stopped suddenly. She felt a growing grief nearby. New demons came or...

Homura approached an apartment window. She could hear the muffled sound of a cry. She saw through the window a dark room with a girl in a bed.

That was the origin of the grief. Could be a heartbroken story. Loss of a loved one or perhaps even of a pet. The cause was no matter but who that was suffering.