Fifth

Steel grips wrapped themselves around her, pulling at her. She was moving towards the shoreline against the current. Something pulled her head above water. Gasping for precious air. Her life source. She was on her back with a strong arm wrapped around her neck and under her arm. Turning her head she saw Talbot, using all his might to get the both of them to shore. Where did he come from? How did he find her?

Not seeing her for quite some time, Talbot swam for a while down river to see if he could find her. Nothing. He swam to shore, climbed out, started walking along the shoreline. He found her clothing draped across the bushes, but no Hannah. He started running along the shoreline trying to find her. After a great distance he saw her head bobbing up and down in the rapid water. He ran passed her location, then dove into the water so that she would reach him down river. The current pushed her right into his arms. It was a struggle even for him. But his adrenaline surged through his blood, giving him the additional strength needed to bring them both back to shore safely.

He pushed her up the bank of the river onto land. She crawled on all fours to a safe place. He followed her. She collapsed on her back, chest heaving, up and down, breathing labored, lungs sucking in the precious, glorious oxygen, coughing, spitting out water, choking. He collapsed beside her on his back too. He mirrored her. His body going through the same motions and convulsions as hers. He was exhausted, fighting the current, dragging a body of virtually dead weight to safety. They lay there for a long time. When Hannah's breathing became more even, still gasping for air she struggled to say, "I .....owe....you....my life, now!"

Talbot smiled. In a lighthearted fashion still breathing laboriously, he said, "Consider us even then." They looked into each other's eyes intensely as they lay side-by-side, first serious then both smiling at first and then laughing at the predicament that they found themselves in. Laughing that they managed to save their lives once again. They stared death in the face and refused to accept.

All the prudishness left. All the shyness and embarrassment vanished. They were bound to each other for life now and at a very special, truly unique level. Their lives changed forever, again, at that moment. He would always be indebted to her and she, him.

When he had the strength to stand, he did so. Hannah sat up and covered herself with her arms, for her chemise was sheer. He quickly removed his shirt to give it to her to cover herself. When she was properly covered he gave her his hands, she placed hers in his and he, without effort, pulled her to her feet, and into his arms. She too, put herself there, laying her face on his chest.

They embraced out of sheer gratitude and gladness that they were alive and that they had each other.

They went back to where she started and collected up her clothing, then continued on to where he had left the water jugs. She dressed then collected water with him, carrying it back to the beach.

Hannah was spent. She had to lay down under the shade of a tree and sleep. He watched the sun move and kept moving the palm frond walls he had made to make sure that she was cool and out of the sun. She slept for hours. Her near drowning had taken its toll on her and she collapsed. Both body and mind spent. He fully understood. Sheer terror is what she experienced. Had he not been there surely it would have been her demise.

Talbot busied himself with chopping wood and building up the fire pit that Hannah had so bravely started. Then he went forging in the jungle. He would not be long but he wanted to find something to eat. The berries would not sustain them.

A few hours later the smell woke Hannah. She raised herself slowly on her elbow at first and then her one hand. What was that sublime smell? She wiped her eyes from sleep. The sun was quickly falling and the light was dimming. She looked over and saw Talbot had built a fire, he made a spit and on the spit was some .....meat!? Were her eyes deceiving her? That might be possible but her nose was not. The fire and the meat cooking made the most fantastic smell together. Her stomach rumbled and ached from the smell alone. She could not remember the last time she had eaten a good piece of meat. It felt like years.

Talbot glanced over at her and smiled. "It's almost ready." He said proudly in a very friendly voice. Proud to be feeding her. Proud to be taking care of her. Things would get better as soon as he could go to the ship. He did want to go that day but thought the trauma of her almost drowning was enough for a lifetime, let alone one day. He did not want to tell her that he was going to go over to the ship and upset her. He would wait.

"What is it?" Hannah asked him. "It smells wonderful."

"Wild boar."

"What? How did you catch it?" She asked with an astonished voice.

"You just need a good snare and patience."

"Both of which I do not have. I am so glad that you do."

"It's almost ready. Just a little longer." Talbot said smiling at her last two comments.

What he did not want to tell her was that he stabbed it in the heart after he snared it with a rope hung over a strong tree limb. Then dragged it closer to the beach and butcher it.

They sat on a blanket on the sand and ate wild boar with their fingers. It was delicious. Certainly enhanced by their very empty stomachs. Especially her as she was alone of so long with only fruit and berries to eat. With her feelings of frustration and exasperation at the coconuts for being so stubborn to open. She had lost weight. Now she was feasting on the best meat she had ever eaten.

"Thank you.....Tal....bot." That was still hard for her to say, "I appreciate all your effort. This is delicious."

"With pleasure." He said while chomping on a huge piece that he had ripped off with his teeth.

They were enjoying themselves. Eating pig, like pigs. Laughing and talking as though they knew each other forever. In this short time because they were thrown together and death looked them both in the eye, more than once, that changed their demeanor and bearing with each other.

After they were full and swearing they would never eat again, Talbot stood up and gave her his hands, once again. She laughed looking at her hands first, feeling it was rude to give someone your sticky hands but then realizing that his were equally sticky. He took her hands in his, laughing and pulled her up to standing. They walked to the water and went in knee deep to wash their hands and mouths. By this time the night had fallen and the stars were out bright and true.

"Tomorrow I want to go to the ship and see what I can salvage. There is food, dry goods in the galley, pots and pans and many things that we could use if they are still there. It seems that the galley is intact still; we stand a good chance of salvaging many things."

"WE are going to the ship tomorrow." Hannah interjected.

"WE?......what do you mean WE?" Talbot questioned her.

"I am not letting you go by yourself." She smiled. "You need me." Knowing full well that he needed no one.

Talbot acquiesced. He would accept what she wanted reluctantly and stayed quiet. He agreed because they could wade there. Not too much risk or danger in that.

They parted after their moonlight wash together, not really wanting to leave each other's company. He watched her until she was at her 'room' and she put her head into her tent and then she retreated and looked at him. They looked solemnly at each other, then she closed her eyes, sighed in satisfaction and relief after the day's events and the wonderful dinner and uttered two profound words that said it all,

"Thank you."

He just nodded his head once in a formal acknowledgement of her kind words and appreciation that he could feel and hear in them.

He just stared at her until she was well inside and then he lay down himself and slept fitfully.