Twenty-4th

"Ma'am, wo' you be wannten a cupa tea?" Betzy asked Hannah.

Hannah took her time raising her heavy head to answer.

"That would be lovely Betzy, thank you." She said quietly and sadly.

Depression filled her days. Benjamin had died not long ago and her life was turned upside down. What would become of her? What would she do? She was ill equipped to run a plantation. She knew nothing about Benjamin's businesses. She was frightened. She did not know who to listen to. Who could she trust?

Many came like vultures to try to marry her. Knowing that she was the sole owner of Benjamin's fortune. All she knew was that the businesses had no debts. She did not understand why there were so many that were interested in purchasing the businesses.

She was prey for every wolf that roamed the earth. She felt vulnerable and she hated the feeling.

She thought back to the days on the island. Seeing Talbot face down in the muddy sand. Somehow she felt more empowered there under those dire circumstances, alone and needing to survive the wilds then she did trying to survive the wilds of the business world. It was a man's world and that infuriated her. Why should it be? There are intelligent women all over the world who run businesses and manage quite well. Albeit very few woman that run businesses. Society would speak ill of her if she ran Benjamin's businesses. They would call her a common shopkeeper. She was numb. Not knowing which way to turn she did not turn at all.

Sitting in the garden in her black garb, wrapped in a warm shawl. Betzy just served her a hot cup of tea. The sun was shining. The air was still. Although it was February and a bit cool, she took advantage of the clear sky and the midday sun to warm her bones. She was reading her book but read the same page over and over again, not being able to concentrate. She heard foot steps approaching.

Out from beneath the large brim of her mourning hat she cast her eyes on a pair of very large and shiny black shoes, polished to mirror perfection. Her pulse started racing! Then her gaze followed the length of the man's pant legs all the way up to his full height. He was very tall. She rested her eyes on the man's face. The sun was behind his head and she could not see his face clearly. She felt butterflies in her stomach. Could it be? She raised her lace gloved hand to shield her eyes from the sun to better see who it was.

"Good afternoon Hannah." The deep voice said.

"Good afternoon." Hannah kept shifting herself to shield her eyes from the sun. "Oh! It's you!"

Hannah got to her feet and walked over to the man. Put out her hand to shake his.

"How are you fairing?"

"As well as can be expected, I suppose."

"That is good to hear. These things always take time."

"True. What brings you here?" Hannah trying to not sound annoyed. She was thoroughly disappointed.

"Well, as Benjamin's lawyer I am obliged to advise you that Benjamin's businesses have been neglected."

Then he stopped and stuttered a bit. "Wh-Which... is... to be ex-expected.... at this particular time."

He was fidgeting with his hat in his fingers, feeling very awkward. He knew that Hannah was not trusting anyone at the moment and he was one of the vultures.

"What are you saying, Mr. Perlmutter?"

"Simply that the businesses need some attention and direction." He said nervously.

"Are you saying that you want to give his businesses the due attention they deserve, Mr. Perlmutter?"

"Are you of the mind to give them some attention?"