Thirty-5th

The day dawned bright and new. The birds were chirping and singing their morning song. There was fresh bread baking in the oven. Smells of strong coffee wafting through the house. Bacon and eggs, hash brown potatoes being fried, grits, and corned beef hash. The servants went through the house opening all the drapery and the windows to air out the house. Opening the front door. Sweeping the kitchen out and dusting the furniture. There was someone arranging fresh flowers from the garden into splendid arrangements for the large circular foyer table, the drawing-room, the library and all the bedrooms.

Betzy was singing a lovely happy song as she lightheartedly walked up the back stairs to the long hallway to Hannah's bedroom to bring her a cup of coffee while the breakfast was being finished and the bread was cooling, just having come out of the oven. The whole house smelled wonderful and there was happiness all around.

Betzy knocked lightly on the bedroom door calling, "Miss?" in a whisper, in case she was still sleeping. Betzy did not hear a response so she thought that Hannah might be in the bathroom. She opened the door slowly and looked in.

As the door opened wider so did Betzy's eyes and mouth. Then she started screaming. "Mista Henry, Mista Henry, come quick, hurry!" She was shouting through the house.

Henry had been in the upstairs part of the house inspecting the quality of work of one of the maids.
He hurried to the bedroom door. Betzy was beside herself. She had her eyes bugged out, tears flowing from them and her hand over her mouth.
Henry came in the room to see the bed sheets in a mess, clearly there had been a struggle. His heart was in his throat. Every drawer in the chest of drawers was open and the clothing pulled out and tossed around. Then the armoire, gowns thrown to the floor. The French doors were open, the breeze blowing the drapery.
Henry walked out to the balcony and saw a ladder propped up against the second floor balcony. That must be how they got her down. There was no stairway from the balcony.
Questioning Betzy would prove superfluous. What happened was evident by what Henry could see. Betzy was still staying backed up against the drapery in the same position that Henry found her in. He had to step over clothes. Clearly Mrs. Talbot had been taken by force.
"Girl, go stand in the hallway and close the door." Henry didn't want her to see what he was about to do. "Not a word to anyone." He commanded.
When the door closed he started to examine the room more closely. Something struck him right between the eyes as he glanced down at Mrs. Talbot's vanity.
All her jewellery was there undisturbed. Nothing out of place. Her hair brushes, the perfume bottles, her powder and all the jewellery as she had placed everything. Nothing had been disturbed.
He turned to look into the back of her armoire. There was a false wall and behind it was a great quantity of money. That also was undisturbed. This was not a robbery it was a kidnapping with other intentions. What kind of ransom would they be looking for? Her jewelry alone would satisfy any thief. Although he would have to go far to sell it as all her pieces were well known. They were exceptional in quality and style.
Something else caught Henry's eye as he stood at her vanity. An envelope, looking somewhat soiled and crumpled. As though it had been in someone's pocket for a while. He picked it up, turning it over to ascertain who it was meant for. Perhaps the kidnappers wrote a ransom note before they arrived. Perhaps they wanted someone to see it as Henry was looking at it now.
He ventured to read it.
He slit the envelope open. Slid the letter out of the envelope. Unfolded it. Read it. Read it a second time. Folded it. Slid the letter into the envelope. Placed it in his inside jacket pocket, without ever having a change of expression.
Henry turned went to the door, opened it, Betzy entered. He closed the door and turned to talk to Betzy.
"Listen here girl." He said sternly. "You clean up this mess and not one word will be spoken about what you saw in this room. Do you understand me?"
"Yesum, Mista Henry." Betzy said eyes cast down.
When Henry went down into the kitchen all eyes were on him. Mammy was the first to have the courage to speak.
"Wats happen' Mista Henry?"
"Oh Betzy just saw a mouse. She's all right now. Not to worry." Henry said in the most nonchalant way. "Everyone can get back to work now."
As he turned to walk out of the kitchen he turned back as though he had an afterthought. "Oh! And Mammy, Mrs. Talbot will not be taking her breakfast. She left town early this morning. I will let you know when she is returning."
"Yesum, Mista Henry." Mammy was shocked and just slowly turned towards the stove again and continued stirring the porridge keeping her head down.
As soon as Henry could he went into the library and closed the door. He sat in the big leather chair behind the large desk. He pulled the envelope out of his inside breast pocket. Slide the letter out of the envelope. Unfolded it and read it again.

He knew exactly what he had to do.