Nineteenth

Hannah sat in the glorious garden. All the flowers in full bloom. It was a hot Louisiana day. She sat in her garden bench under an arch-lattice covered in roses. The fragrance was heavenly.

Beside her was a small table covered in lace with iced mint-julep waiting for her. Pitcher and glass covered with crochet doilies, edged with beads, to weigh the doilies down so the wind would not take them. They were needed to keep away the flies.

Her garden dress was lovely and delicate white eyelet. Large sun hat to match, framed her beautiful face. She read poetry from a book.

The day was perfect. She loved her garden, she loved summer, she loved her arched roses. It was peaceful and quiet. Benjamin had gone into town to see the doctor, insisting that he go alone. Hannah insisted that Henry, their faithful butler, went with him.

The servants worked quietly.

Suddenly the dogs started barking, she knew who it was coming up the very long driveway lined on either side, with tall trees that created a canopy of foliage overhead. It was a horse and buggy. The postman. She smiled and wondered if there was any news from her sister, Laura, who lived in Cuba. She had not written in a while.

A few minutes later one of the servants came with a silver tray with envelopes on it. Yes, to her delight there was a letter from her sister. She loved hearing from her. What else was there? Social invitation from Mrs. Hilde Berg. A lovely German lady that had moved to the area some time ago. Her husband was a wealthy business man and acquainted with Benjamin through their mutual financial interests. She was having an "afternoon tea" for the high-society ladies in the area. Mrs. Berg was a wonderful hostess. That would give Hannah the chance to taste all her delicate German pastry and strong coffee that she enjoyed so much. Especially her Bienenstich. It meant 'bee sting' in German. A foundation of yellow sponge cake with thick cooked custard in the center and another layer of yellow sponge cake for the top layer with a coating of soft almond brittle. There would be different tortes many layers high with very thin layers of cake and cream. And, lest we forget, Black Forest cake, chocolate cake with whipped cream between the layers and a cherry confiture. She would enjoy herself. Mrs. Berg was not prone to gossip about her and the two ladies enjoyed each other's company.

She continued to look through the envelops and then she touched one that felt strange. The envelope was thick. It simply said:

To: Mrs. H. Chamberlain
5 Park Lane
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
United States of America

'What is this?' Hannah studied the envelope. 'Who could this be from?' She turned it over - no return address. It did have a wax seal securing the envelope. She studied the seal for a moment and then her eyes grew wider and wider as she recognized something.

In the middle of the seal in a small very heavy Gothic script were the letters:

H.I.T.

She felt panic rise in her throat coming directly from her heart. That too was pounding in her chest. She felt a film of perspiration on her top lip. She started fanning herself rapidly. Turning the envelope over and over again. She did not know what to do with it. Quickly she put it down on the table beside the pitcher of mint-julep. As if it were a burning coal and she burnt her fingers.

"I won't!" She reprimanded herself, proceeding to look at the other mail. "I'll read the letter from Laura."

She turned so that her back was to the table now. Believing that she could block out the uncomfortable feeling of the envelope by ignoring it. As if it were an unruly child, an uncontrollable, unruly child. Yes, that is exactly what she would do. She simply would not read it. Just ignore it and it shall go away. Opening the letter from Laura she started to read.

"Dear Hannah,

Stop ignoring the letter from Talbot. Just pick it up and read it."

That is not what her sister's letter said. Her mind was playing tricks on her. Her emotions were running high and wild. She was trying so hard to concentrate on her sister's letter.

"You know that you want to see what he says. Why are you fighting this? You are going to have to read it eventually. Stop tormenting yourself."

"Argh!" Hannah crushed her sister's letter in her hands and slammed it down onto her lap in anger. "Why can't he just leave me alone? I can't do anything about my situation. It is difficult enough without him making it worse by contacting me."

Picking up the letter as though it were the enemy she walked into the house in a defeated manner.