Twenty-7th

The days and weeks that followed where filled. From one moment to the next they had so many things to do. The businesses had been virtually ignored for months. Running all their businesses took much of their time. In fact they did not run to their full potential since Hannah had been believed lost at sea. Benjamin had fallen weak and sickly from that day forward, never regaining his former strength and vigor to run the businesses. Fortunately they were well established and could function themselves for the most part and yet Talbot and Hannah saw the real potential of it all.

Most unexpectedly, to the outside world, what Hannah had instructed Henry to do that day when she called him into the library after her shopping spree, was set in motion. Hannah sent out invitations to all her suitors, those with their view to marriage and those suitors, with their view to buying her businesses. Each Gentleman got a personally address invitation - giving the impression that this was going to be a private affair with himself and Hannah.

Mrs. Hannah Chamberlain

requests the

Honour of your presence

on

July 1st, 1855

for an intimate

Dinner at 8pm

Chamberlain Plantation

Baton Rouge, Louisiana

The night approached quickly. Hannah's plans were set in motion perfectly. She had invited them all. The guest list was extensive. As each on thought he was dining alone no one spoke of it to the other when they met at the Gentlemen's Club.

That evening, each gentleman arrived, one by one, in all their finery. Evening clothes and top hats, white gloves and satin scarves to match. Henry, the butler, directed them into the ballroom and servers were there with tray upon tray, laden with champagne, red wines, white wines, scotches and brandies, of every kind.

In addition the orchestra played.

As the gentlemen entered the ballroom, the men that knew each other greeted one another, others introduced themselves, others made introductions to others. Each man confused as they thought they were having a private dinner with Hannah believing that she was going to accept their proposal, either of marriage or a business partnership or takeover.

Murmuring began as one man to the next noticed there was not one lady present. Even the men that were married were alone. They did not even inform their wives where they were going. Excited that they might stand a chance to be in Hannah's life. It seemed that this was turning into an 'all gentlemen's affair'.

That, of course, started the talking and speculating about what Mrs. Chamberlain, as was, was up to. Was it planned this way? Of course, it could not be an oversight. Mrs. Chamberlain, after all knew many ladies of society that could have been invited. Was there going to be dancing? Impossible. Perhaps this was a business meeting that would have better been conducted in the daylight hours rather than filling up an evening this way. And all the effort it took each man to preen himself. Certainly each man's feathers had been ruffled as each one realized that this was not private and she had not called them to accept their individual proposal, be it marriage or to sell her businesses in part or in whole.

Hannah waited in her room.

Eight o'clock passed, then eight-thirty passed, nine o'clock passed, then nine-thirty passed.