Seventh

While Hannah was away at the waterfalls bathing. To Talbot's surprise and amazement he found in the water of the cove a round table and two chairs. He quickly retrieved them and set them in the sun to dry.

When she returned some time later, she gasped at the sight before her eyes. For all intents and purposes Talbot had laid a table of sheer splendor. While she was away he had covered the table with a white cloth that he found in Hannah's household wares. A huge flower arrangement in the center. A silver tea-service, china cups and saucers and cake plates. He had taken mangoes and cut the two sides off leaving the pit in the middle. He cut diagonals one way and then the opposite way in the mangos making sure not to pierce the skin. Then turning them inside-out. The mango pieces were  cut in diamond shapes but still attached to the outer skin. He had picked berries of various kinds and cut banana into delightful looking pieces. He had even taken the hardtack and soaked it in brandy to soften it adding sugar and fruit. It turned into somewhat of a trifle.

He was standing there like a waiter at the side of the table when she arrived and stood tall and erect and said, "Your afternoon tea awaits you, M'lady."

She was completely impressed and ever so appreciative of all the effort he made to please her.

"Please wait for me but for a moment." She ran into the cave and a few minutes later exited in a beautiful dress and her hair piled high on the top of her head. She had a beautiful comb in her hair studded with rhinestones. She wore, pearls at her neck and her earlobes and her wrist. She looked exquisite. He could not take his eyes off her. She elegantly walked to the table where he pulled out a chair for her.

She could not stop smiling. "Where did all this come from?" She asked. Her face hurt she was smiling so broadly. For all of it reminded her of home. She was thrilled that he had made such an effort to please her.

Then she looked into the creamer of the silver tea-service and saw .....MILK? How is that possible?

"What?" She squealed. "Where did you get this...milk?"

Talbot smiled proudly and said, "From a willing coconut."

"Coconut milk?" Hannah still smiling. She was overjoyed.

This was as close to afternoon tea as she had, had in a long, long time. How sweet and considerate of him to go to all this effort.

"Did you carve the table and chairs too?" She laughed.

"Well, of course. Anything for you." He laughed with her.

Hot teapot full of ........... TEA!

"And cake with fruit?" Hannah exclaimed.

Talbot explained how he made this island trifle.

Everything touched Hannah's heart.

It was more playing than anything. She would have to use her imagination. There were no scones with clotted cream or strawberry preserve or cucumber sandwiches.

This was marvelous. She was completely, wholly, exquisitely, delighted.

She fell more in love with him than ever.

More days passed. Looking out in the cove Hannah saw something floating towards shore. There were still items that would escape the hull of the ship and the current would carry them in. She went into the water to retrieve it as it came closer and closer to her. It was a rather small trunk about half the size of the others.

When she got it to shore she wiped the outside of it so that no water would touch the contents when she opened it. More intrigue. On the lid of the trunk carved in a brass plate were the initials,