Chapter Two

Brett opened one eye, feeling groggy. She must have fallen asleep; she sat up. Mike smiled at here. "Why hello, sleeping beauty." Brett giggled. "Hi." Mike laughed, "You're lucky you're so cute, or I'd be mad you fell asleep." Brett leaned over and kissed him on the cheek. Mike smiled. "Like I said, you're lucky you're so cute." Brett looked at the clock, 6:08. They had been on the road for almost two hours now. "Are we close?" Mike smiled, "Why, yes, we are. I thought we could get settled in, and then we can go grab some groceries and make dinner?" Brett sat up. "Sounds perfect to me." Mike glanced over at her. "So, I'm really hoping you like where we're going." Brett smiled, "I'm sure I'll love it." Mike bit his lip. "I hope so." He looked over at her. "Let me explain my thoughts on this one." Brett giggled, "Okay." "Well, we spend everyday in a giant beach house, and so us spending a weekend away in another giant beach house just didn't seem very special. So..." Mike laid his hand on her leg. "... I went with another idea that seems more like you anyway." Mike turned the corner onto a small street and drove for a few more minutes. "Do me a favor. Close your eyes." Brett rolled her eyes, "Seriously?" Mike laughed, "Ah, come on." Brett leaned her head back on the headrest and shut her eyes.

The car came to a stop, and she could hear Mike rustling around. "Can I open my eyes yet?" "Hold on!", shouted Mike. He hopped out of the car and ran around to her side, gently opening the door. He took Brett's arm and helped her get out of the car with her eyes still shut. "Okay, open your eyes.. Now." Brett opened her eyes and let out a gasp. "Oh, Mike. It's perfect." The two were standing in front of a small, white beach cottage. Bright flowers surrounded the front of the house, and there was a tiny path leading to a front porch. On the porch, there was a swing painted a shade of light, soothing green. Brett turned to him. "It's so beautiful. It's absolutely perfect." Mike leaned down and kissed her. "Shall we see the inside?" Brett nodded, still smiling ear to ear. Mike pushed the front door open and gestured for Brett to step inside. Brett walked through and looked around. The inside of the cottage was as charming as the outside. They were now in a quaint living room with the comfiest looking couch Brett had ever seen. There was a basket full of blankets and a tall bookshelf full of books. Brett covered her mouth. She couldn't believe this. Mike led her into the kitchen. It was small, but well kept. It had a small island for preparing food and small round table perfect for two.

Mike grabbed her hand and pulled her towards the bedroom. Brett giggled. There was a huge bed covered with a fluffy, white comforter. Brett stepped into the bathroom. It had a large tub that would be perfect for a bath. She stepped back over to Mike and wrapped her arms around his neck. "You are amazing." Mike smiled, "So you do like it?" Brett jumped up on her tiptoes enthusiastically. "Of course I do! It's amazing!" Mike kissed her softly. He grabbed her hand and led her over to the bed. They sat on the edge of the bed. Brett smiled at him. "What could I possibly have done to deserve this?" Mike wrapped his arm around her. "Just being you." Brett rolled her eyes. "You are so cheesy." Mike smoldered at her. "Oh, you love it." Brett giggled and shrugged. "It's true." Mike grabbed her and pulled her onto the bed. Brett broke into a giggling fit and he kissed her face all over and tickled her. Mike leaned back and forced a laugh, trying to fight back the guilt building in the pit of his stomach.