Chapter Nine

Brett laid in the bed; her eyes heavy from all the crying she had done the night before. She stared at the ceiling and took slow, deep breaths. It was almost unbelievable how much one moment could change things. The night before had ended with Mike getting his things out of the bedroom and moving to the couch, leaving Brett in the bedroom.
Brett lifted her watch from the side table, checking the time. She knew they would need to be heading back to Graceland soon. She reluctantly lifted herself from the bed and into the bathroom. She brushed her teeth and pinned her hair out of her face. She slipped a soft, gray shirt over her head and slid the remainder of her things into her bag. She put her bag over her shoulder and stood reluctantly in the doorway, knowing that she would have to face Mike eventually. She pushed her door open and stepped outside. To her surprise, Mike was nowhere to be found. His bag was neatly pack and sitting on the couch. She stepped into the kitchen, and a plate of pancakes was sitting on the table. Mike wasn't there though. About that moment, she heard the front door open and close. She stepped into the living room, as he entered holding a bag from the pottery store. He sat the bag on the couch solemnly. He looked absolutely exhausted. "I made you breakfast." Brett didn't look at him. "Thank you." Mike sighed. "So you're still mad." Brett looked up at him, angrily. "Yeah, I am. Did you think that pancakes were going to make me change my mind?" Mike stepped towards her, "No, but I thought the fact that I'm trying might." Brett rolled her eyes. Mike scoffed at her. "Don't act like you're completely innocent in this. You-" Brett turned to Mike with her eyes wide, cutting him off. "I am innocent in this!" Mike tapped his foot. "Well, don't you think you're being a little unreasonable?" Brett couldn't control her anger any longer. "Yeah, you're right. I am feeling pretty irrational." She reached into the pottery bag and pulled out the mug. She crossed to the garbage can and tossed it in. As it fell in, it immediately shattered. Brett immediately regretted it, but it was too late now. Mike pursed his lips and lifted his bag from the couch. Without another word, he turned and exited through the front door. Brett couldn't believe she had just done that. She solemnly crossed to the bedroom and picked up her bag. She stepped through the front door and over to the car where Mike was already waiting in the driver's seat. Brett climbed into the passenger seat without looking at Mike.

After a long, silent drive, they finally arrived back at Graceland. Mike immediately exited the car and went into the house. Once he was inside, Brett followed. Charlie was standing in the living room. She pointed up the stairs. "What's with him?" Brett just sighed. Charlie looked at Brett, and she seemed to know. "No." Brett nodded. Charlie crossed to Brett and wrapped her arms around her. "I'm so sorry, baby." Brett leaned her head on Charlie's shoulder and felt the tears swelling. "He's just not who I thought he was."