Chapter Seven

Brett was bent over cackling. They had been driving for awhile, and Mike had been singing passionately to the radio the entire drive. Brett sat up to see Mike's face spread into a wide smile. "Thanks for your support, Oregon." Brett giggled and laid her hand on his arm. "You know I just love messing with you." Mike smirked. Brett's eyes grew wide. "What?" Mike laughed. "Do you remember that time in the kitchen when I said something about cutting up with you, and you fed me some line about how relatable you are?" Brett rolled her eyes. "And then you fed me some garbage about the first time you saw me." Mike gawked. "I was serious!" Brett turned to him. "Fine. Tell me exactly what you thought of me that day." Mike sighed. "That first day I was absolutely terrified, more nervous than I've ever been. I'm expecting Briggs to come pick me up, and who comes down the elevator? You." Brett rolled her eyes, but Mike went on. "I swear my heart stopped in my chest. You just had this air about you. You came down off that elevator, and I was just a bumbling fool." Mike laughed. "But then you were... well, you." Brett smiled. "What do you mean?" Mike was beaming now. "You were just so sweet, and you didn't try to make me feel stupid and new. You just welcomed me, and seriously the longer I was at the house, the more perfect you seemed." Brett laid her head against the headrest and sighed. "My goodness, you have a way with your words, Agent Warren." Mike laughed. "Only when it's about you, Agent Larson."

Soon Mike parked outside of a small restaurant. He turned to Brett. "I've never been here, but Chuck recommended it." Brett smiled. "Then I'm sure it's great." Mike crossed to Brett's door and held it open for her. She smiled. "Thank you, sir." They came through the front door, and a young man stood at the counter. He turned to Brett and smiled widely. "How many are in your party?" Mike smiled. "Two, please." He turned reluctantly to Mike and started to lead them to their table. When they arrived at the table, he gestured towards it. "Ma'am." Brett slid past him. "Thank you." He laid their menus on the table and turned to Brett again. "Let me know if you need absolutely anything." Brett smiled faintly. "Thanks."

He stepped away, and Mike's eyes widened. "Could he have been any hotter for you?" Brett scoffed. Mike grabbed her hand. "Seriously! He couldn't stop staring at you!" He grinned. "Not that I can blame him." Brett giggled. "Like that girl at the pottery place wasn't hot for you?" "Um, actually no. She was just super perky." Brett giggled. "Besides she hated us a little bit after our paint fight." Mike laughed, "Yeah, I don't think we're welcome at Polly's Pottery Place anymore." Brett pretended to be gagging. "That really is the worst name for a pottery place. What in the world made you decide that was a good idea, by the way?" Mike sighed. "You just love fun, quirky stuff like that." He looked around. "Speaking of which, what do you think about this place?" Brett looked around, smiling. "I like it. It's quaint." Mike nodded. "I knew when I asked Charlie to pick a place you would like, she would get it right." Brett shrugged. "She gets me." Mike laughed. "Shall we peruse the menu?" Brett laughed. "We shall."

"Oh, that was delicious," groaned Brett. Mike nodded. "Oh, yeah. Chuck knows food." They both laughed. Mike straightened up. "Well, I was thinking a nice walk down the road to check out some of the little shops, if you aren't too full?" Brett giggled. "I think I can make it." Mike stood up and extended his hand to Brett. Brett smiled up at him and took his hand. Brett caught the host glaring at them, as they exited the restaurant holding hands. She knew Mike had seen it, too, and she hoped he ignore it. But as they stepped through the front door, Mike leaned over, whispering in her ear and left Brett giggling. "You're lucky we're undercovers, or I'd have to teach that guy a thing or two."