Chapter Four

Brett stepped out of the shower and wrapped a towel around her body. She walked into the bedroom and pulled out a soft, blue v-neck and gray shorts. Brett took the towel and dried her hair. She tossed the towel back in the bathroom and walked into the living room. Mike was stretched out on the couch with his arms over his head. Mike was wearing only a pair of sweatpants with no shirt. Brett winked at him. "Well, hello there." Mike sat up, laughing. "Hi there." He smiled and stood up. He pulled Brett close to him. "So what's for dinner?" Brett pretended to be thinking. "Hmm. I guess you'll just have to see."

Brett walked off to the kitchen, pulling Mike behind her. Mike sat down at the table, and Brett crossed over to the fridge, pulling out her ingredients. She unwrapped the fresh salmon and set the oven to preheat. She laid out a sheet of foil and put the salmon on it. She seasoned it and wrapped them before sliding them into the oven. "Can I help with something?", asked Mike. Brett smiled over at him. "No, I got this. You can handle breakfast." Brett winked at him and went back to cooking. Mike crossed over to Brett and stood behind her, wrapping his arms around her waist. Brett giggled as Mike kissed her neck. "If you don't stop distracting me, I'm going to burn our dinner." Mike mumbled into her neck. "That would be alright."

Brett laughed and slowly pulled herself away from Mike. Mike moaned. Brett giggled and crossed over to the oven. She pulled the pan out of the oven and placed it on top. She opened a cabinet, pulling out two plates; she carefully laid the salmon out on the plates and arranged a salad of fresh greens on the side. She handed the plates to Mike for him to carry them back to the table and grabbed two waters and forks. She sat at the small table and passed a fork to Mike. "Thank you." He smiled at her. "This looks amazing. Is there anything you can't do?" Brett pretended to be thinking. "No, not really." Mike laughed, "I'm not at all surprised." Brett rolled her eyes. "I know you can't surf, but that seems to be about it." Mike pointed at her with his fork. "Actually, we both know that neither of us can sing." Brett laughed, "You're completely right." Mike took a big bite of his salmon and smiled. "This is amazing." He looked up at her. "You're amazing." Brett giggled. "Oh, shush. Eat your fish." Mike teasingly took a huge bite.

After they finished, Brett stood and started to get the dishes, but Mike stopped her. "No, no. I got this. Doing the dishes and making breakfast won't come close to making us even." Brett laughed and stepped back into the living room. She flopped over on the couch. She couldn't stop smiling. Mike was perfect. She just couldn't believe how incredible this weekend had been, actually how incredible this whole relationship had been. Mike stepped into the living room and fell onto the couch beside her. "Ugh. That was delicious." He sat up a little straighter. "May I say you seem to have a very strange set of skills? Kick boxing? Yeah, sure. But playing pool, cooking, who knows what else?" Brett laughed, "They're called hobbies, Mike." Mike laughed, "Yeah, I know, but why those hobbies?" Brett sat up. "I don't know. I've always loved cooking. My dad was big into it. It kind of became a bonding thing, and the pool? I don't know. I was always a bit of a tomboy. Always hung out with guys. One day, the guys decided they liked pool, so I did, too."

Mike just nodded; he seemed to be processing. "Do you have any other talents I should know about?" Brett squinted her eyes, clearly thinking. She snapped her fingers. "I'm a really great surfer." Mike gawked at her. "What, and you haven't helped me?" Brett bowed over laughing. "I'm totally joking. I don't surf." Mike rolled his eyes and fell back on the couch. She poked Mike in the chest. "You really thought if I was awesome at something you weren't, I wasn't going to rub it in your face? Wow, you really think a lot of me." Mike smiled. "Yeah, I really do." Brett smiled. "I'm also a terrible painter by the way." Mike visibly winced. Brett's eyes widened, and she started laughing. "Is that a major problem for you? Like is this a deal breaker?" Mike laughed, "No, no. Sorry, just had a twitch." Brett laughed. "Okay, I think it's about time you got to bed." Brett stood and extended her hand to Mike, and she grabbed it and helped him off the couch. Mike raised his eyebrow. "Only if you're coming with me." Mike grabbed Brett and flung her over his shoulder. Brett squealed and playfully thrashed until Mike gently threw her down on the bed and flopped down beside her. They were both laughing hysterically now. Brett rolled over, still laughing. "Gosh, I love you." Mike stiffened up. "What?" Brett slowly realized what she had said and laughed uncomfortably. "I do. I love you." Mike felt like the air had been knocked out of him, and he fought the tears that were forming in his eyes. He adored Brett, and in fact, he knew he loved her, too. He just wasn't prepared to have her say that when he knew what terrible news he was going to give her. Brett seemed upset now. "Really? No response?" Mike pulled her close. "Of course I love you, too." Brett smiled now. "Wow, that was terrifying for a minute." Mike laughed. "I'm so sorry." He pulled her into him again and kissed her on the forehead. "I love you. I absolutely do."