Chapter Six

Brett stood in the bedroom trying to decide between the two dresses she had brought. After another moment, Brett slid a sleek, blue dress on. She crossed to the mirror; she had curled her short, brown hair. She hadn't pinned it out of her face, which was a very rare occurrence. She fastened a simple, pearl necklace around her neck and slid a pair sandals over her feet. She glanced in the mirror one final time; she sighed and went to find Mike. Mike was standing in the living room, looking out of the window. Before he had even turned around, Brett could tell how great he looked. He wore a nice pair of gray dress pants and a blue button-down. She laughed. "I guess we're matching tonight." 

Mike flipped his head around, and his face immediately lit up when he saw her. "Brett..", he started. He crossed over to her. "You are so beautiful." Brett looked down, laughing. "Thanks. You look amazing, but I'm not surprised." Mike laughed. "You're ridiculous." Brett looked up at him and wrapped her arms around his neck. "How did I get so lucky?" Mike wrapped his arms around her waist. "I was just thinking the same thing." Brett giggled, and Mike kissed her gently. Mike leaned back and smiled at her. "Are you ready for dinner?" Brett nodded. "Oh, yeah. I'm so excited! Where are we going anyways?" Mike laughed, "I can't tell you. It'll ruin the surprise!" Brett rolled her eyes. "You've been keeping secrets from me all weekend!" Mike knew she was joking, but he felt a lump catch in his throat.