Chapter 9

Skylar POV

"Sky, wait up!" Nikki called after me. I turned around in the school parking lot and waited for her to catch up to me.

"What's up?" I asked, grabbing my keys out of my backpack. My parents still hadn't gotten me the car they promised I'd get right when we got to San Diego so I was borrowing theirs for now. 

"Well I saw Lucas just a little bit ago with his group of manwhores." She commented, staring at me closely to see my reaction.

"Yeah? What's that got to do with me?" I asked, a little bit confused. We were walking down the rows of cars. I wasn't sure if she was parked near me or if she wanted to talk more and was going to follow me to my car but I didn't say anything. 

"I saw the way he looked at you, Skylar." She replied, eyes sparkling. "And I have the absolute most brilliant plan ever! You have to help me with it."

I look at her warily. 

"I'm not going to like this very much, am I?" I asked slowly. 

Nikki just smiled mischievously. 

***

"Skylar is that you?" My mom called through the house.

"No, Mom, I'm a robber who's come to take everything in your house. Beware I am armed and I'm coming into the kitchen!" I responded sarcastically as I walked into the kitchen.

My mom, not amused, just gave me a skeptical look.

"You're really not funny, you know that?" She told me. 

"That's actual you and Dad's faults, Mom. I could probably have been a comedian if you and Dad were even remotely funny and had decided to pass those genes along to me." I responded, grabbing an apple and sitting down at the kitchen island. "You're making dinner already?" I asked her while taking a bite of the apple.

"Yeah, your father invited one of his coworker's and his family to come to dinner tonight so I figured I'd make something besides frozen pizza." Mom told me as she cut raw chicken into strips.

"But Mom you should probably stick to what you know. Really that's only frozen pizza." I said with a cheeky wink in her direction. Really my Mom was a fantastic cook and had even gone to cooking school for a couple of years. She never actually followed through on that dream but, hey, I wasn't complaining. 

"Ha ha Sky you're so so funny." She rolled her eyes at me. 

"So do I have to be present for this dinner or can I just eat in my room?" I asked. 

"Do you even really need to ask that Skylar Rose Harper?" My mom raised her eyebrows. "Of course you're going to be there. No discussion." 

"But Mom this is probably going to be a boring business meeting. Why should I need to be there?" I complained. Like seriously? The last thing I wanted to do was dress up for some boring dinner and waste basically my whole night.

"You're going and that's final." Mom replied while wrapping the chicken strips in tin foil in a pan to go in the oven. "They actually have three children and one of them is your age. Apparently he goes to your new high school. I don't remember how old the other two are. But maybe you'll make some friends." 

"Mom, I don't need help making friends. I already made a couple today." I took another bite of my apple. "Wait a minute, did you say he goes to my new high school? What's his name? Maybe I do already know him.." I had a really bad feeling about this.

"I don't really remember.." Mom said while waving around the spatula she was using. "It starts with an 'L' I know that."

Please don't say Lucas please don't say Lucas please don't say Lucas

"Oh I remember! His name is Lucas!" My mom exclaimed.

Well crap. 

I'm so so sorry that it's been a long wait! It's been super busy around my house but the next update will be way sooner than this one was. Thank you guys so much for your comments though! I promise I loved them! You guys are the best!

Also, special shoutout to Alexa_kk because her comment a couple days ago really motivated me to start writing again. It was super sweet of you to say what you did so thank you :)