"i don't want her to get clingy"

19. is she clingy, michael?

"She had this look on her face like someone had slapped her or something. It's like she thought we were boyfriend and girlfriend. What the fuck, I'm so freaked out."

"What do you mean? What did you tell her?"

"I told her to basically stay away from me."

The words brought Calum into a coughing fit as he chokes on his own spit. "What?"

"She's not my girlfriend. I don't do girlfriends. I don't want her to get clingy."

Calum sighs, looking me right in the eye. It's a little uncomfortable. He only does this when I'm having a panic attack and he's trying to calm me down.

"You take her to watch the sunset, you cuddle her and kiss her. Michael, you haven't slept properly for days and you were the one tucking her in."

"So?" I fold my arms over my chest in defence and lean back. He's trying to get a reaction out of me, but I won't give it to him. "And it wasn't the sunset. It was the sunrise."

"Maybe you're lying to yourself, but you can't lie to me. I know you. You've taken her to every gig since you met her, paid for the tickets even if you're broke. And you're telling me it's nothing? I don't think she's the clingy one. You keep going back to her."

It's not a drunken heart to heart; Calum is sober tonight. But I know he'd give me this speech either way. He's annoyingly sensible and very good at spotting things. I'm just not ready to hear it.

"It's something," I say, letting my mind wander to the girl I tucked into bed after our rooftop non-date. "I just don't know what yet. And no, I'm not clingy. I just don't know how to hang out with her without feeling some kind of way."

"Better figure that out, buddy."

"Yeah, I guess I have to." I'm still hyped from the gig we played earlier, and have yet to come down. "Did you see if she left already?"

"Saw her at the bar with Luke and Ashton before, not sure if they're still there or not."

I almost spill my drink, his words sending a tremor through my body. Suddenly, I feel like crying. "Cal, I'm pretty sure she's not eighteen yet."

"We've tried to tell you that. It's not hard to tell."

"Is she drinking?"

"Dunno, I know Luke was getting Ashton one. Chill, I'm sure she's had a drink before."

I put the bottle of Corona down, my eyes scanning the room to find the young brunette. It shouldn't be hard to find her - she'd easily stand out by being the prettiest girl in the bar.

When I reach Luke and Ashton in the crowd of people, she's still nowhere to be seen. I can't even hide the fact that I'm freaking out. Is she okay? Being sick in the bathroom? Getting her drink drugged by creeps? Does my princess need saving?

"Where is she?" I ask, leaning into Luke so he can hear me over the music.

"Jessa? I think we lost her."

"Lost her? The fuck?"

"Didn't realise it's my job keeping check on your girlfriend."

Ashton pushes me back. Good move, otherwise Luke would probably have ended with a bloody nose.

"He's just winding you up. He's a bit tipsy," he says, letting go of my shirt. "She's outside, calling a taxi."

"Thanks," I say, brushing my clammy hands on my jeans.