character answers

THE INTERVIEW

Luke and Ashton walk in first, sitting down together on the leather couch at the back of the dressing room. They've just finished soundcheck, and they're both a bit sweaty and red faced. Calum arrives later, practically pulling Michael with him.

"I'm Lauren," the girl sitting on the chair opposite them says. "You guys ready to go?"

"Never been ready-er," Ashton giggles, and Luke elbows him in the ribs, "Ow!"

"First question is for Luke."

"Hit me," he says, "Don't actually hit me. But like, with the question."

"Why are you so hot?"

"Because I have great jeans," he says, stroking his hand up and down his skinny jeans. "Get it? Jeans and genes."

"Alright, pretty boy. Why don't you date Ashton?"

The silence is fatal. Luke stares at Lauren. Lauren stares at Luke.

Ashton speaks up, "Because that'd be weird, right?"

"Would that ruin the band? A relationship within the band?"

Luke looks down at his hands. "Maybe not ruin it? But like, that would be difficult? Any relationship is difficult."

"What's with the nickname incest Luke? Are you really into incest?"

"That's because my family was trying to make me go to this wedding thing with my almost cousin. But like, it didn't end up happening that way in the end, so it was fine. I'm not into incest, no."

"Love me?"

"If that's what you wanna do, oh?" Calum adds, and Lauren smiles in approval.

"So, some of your songs are about heartbreak," says Lauren, "If you love someone, you don't leave them. Especially if they love you back. Agree or disagree?"

Everyone looks at Michael. "Agree? Is that the correct answer?" he says. "Why can't the questions be about pizza or something?" he adds in a mumble.

"You want a question about pizza, Michael?" Lauren asks.

"Yeah."

"Too bad I haven't got any of those, then."

Calum laughs, but falls silent after Michael gives him a murderous glare.

"Not many questions for you Michael, but quite a lot of people saying you give them chest pains. And a few questions about marriage."

"Well weddings suck, so I won't be doing that anytime soon."

"Not even if a fan came up with a really creative marriage proposal?"

"No."

"Alright then," Lauren says, awkwardly. If she didn't have to stay professional, she'd ask what he was playing at. Or give him a slice of pizza, maybe that would cheer him up. "I'm guessing you won't be agreeing to adopting punk kittens with a fan, either, then?"

He just falls into a painfully deep frown. "Punk kittens," he repeats, as if that reminds him of something he doesn't want to remember.

"So a few of your fans are a bit younger. Do you think age matters in a relationship?"

They're all squirming in their seats.

"I mean. . ." Ashton starts, but quickly closes his mouth again.

"What's the youngest you would date?"

"Um," Calum says. "How old are you?"

"Old enough."