"luke got to sign boobs"

32. anything else you want signed, jessa?

"Did you get any good pictures?" Ashton asks as I'm putting my camera away. He's quite sweaty; his straightened hair has gone curly at the roots and the sleeves of his t-shirt are rolled up over his tiredly slumping shoulders.

"Yeah, you have a very photogenic drumming face," I say, laughing.

"Thanks." He ruffles his hair around, then smiles, his face still flushed red and shiny. A few droplets rolls from his temples. "Mum's just got here, the car's around the other side."

The reason I've been allowed to the gig this time is because I'm getting paid to take the photos. My dad couldn't say no once he heard I would actually get money for it. The other condition is that Ashton's mum drives me home right after.

But before I go, I have to at least say bye to Michael. I haven't had the chance to even talk to him tonight. I've been busy behind the camera, and he's been busy flirting with it. He takes great action shots. They all do.

"Hey, are the boys still around?"

"Michael's with Luke and a couple of girls," says Ashton. "I think Calum's gone to put his bass in the van. But I'm guessing you were asking for Michael, right?"

"What girls?"

I'm fine. I swear, I'm not jealous. Did I mention how completely okay I am with this? He's not mine, and I'll have to get used to sharing him.

"Some of the fans. Luke was signing some girl's boob when I left. I'm guessing Michael is probably doing the same."

Ashton lowkey rolls his eyes, but I catch it. Then, he shuffles his feet and plays impatiently with the zipper of his bag; unzips, does it back up, unzips again and does it back up. He's trying to look busy.

"Are you okay with it? You seem upset."

"I'm not sure," he sighs, lower lip jutting out, "Why would he want to sign someone's boobs? Especially sweaty post-concert boobs."

"You're not okay." I sigh, grabbing his hand. Partly because I know he needs some support, but also to stop the awful sound of the zipper going back and forth. "You have to trust him."

I should probably take my own advice. My heart is doing roly polys in my chest.

"I know. I'm overreacting."

"It's alright, you're allowed to feel that way." I nod, knowing exactly how he feels. I feel it, too. "It's overwhelming when the person you like has about a hundred people fancying them."

"She made him blush."

"But you're the one he texts at night. He might have signed her boob, but you've got more than an autograph, Ash. You've got him."

"I don't, though. He's the one who's got me. This just shows how easily I can be replaced."

"Same."

"I guess we're in the same boat, huh?"

"Yeah, except you have people chasing after you as well."

"But I wouldn't sign their boobs. Like, you should have seen! He was so into it."

"Go home, have a shower and rest up, babe. Talk to him about it tomorrow."

"Are you gonna talk to Michael?"

"Yeah."

"You like him. Like, a lot? You do, don't you?"

"If i didn't, I wouldn't be here."

"Just don't get hurt. If the girls are still there."

It's difficult not to. Michael is fire, and I've already touched the flame. His warmth wraps around me, holds me tight. I'll let him warm me, burn me. That's the thing with fire; it's beautiful and dangerous at the same time.

"I'll be okay. Don't worry about me," I say. "I'm just gonna go let them know we're leaving."

"I'll wait out here."

When I get inside, a giggly group of girls are brushing past me on their way out.

"Hey pretty girl," Michael says, smiling at me. He's stacking boxes of merchandise, and Luke carries one away to the car.

"Just wanted to let you know Ash and I are leaving. Unless you need help?"

"Nah, we're just finishing up. Got a couple of these left," he reaches into the box in front of him, getting out one of the shirts. "Nice, aren't they?"

"Very. I like my old one, though." It's true. I've worn it to bed a lot when I feel lonely. It makes me feel a little bit safer. I know it probably doesn't make sense, it's just a shirt. But for some reason, it makes me feel closer to Michael.

"Now you have two." He throws the shirt in my direction.

Luckily, I manage to catch it. Not looking like a complete idiot has never been my my forte. I guess I'm being smooth today. Wonderful. I pull it over my head, smoothing it out over my outfit.

"Can you sign it for me, rockstar?"

"Of course I can," he says. And before I know it, he's stood by me with the pen in his hand. He bites off the cap, keeping it between his teeth as he swipes the pen over the fabric. "Are you sure the shirt is the only thing you want signed?"

He clicks the cap back on the pen. I catch myself staring at his lips for a moment. I lift my eyes to his, and it's obvious he's caught me.

I swallow, trying to find the answer to his question. Is it just me or is it hot in here? I'm sweating in my two layers. "What other things would I want you to sign?"

Michael rubs his hand over his stubble, smirking. It's the kind of smirk that makes me feel uneasy and gives me butterflies at the same time. Michael has caught on; I'm twisting my feet, blushing.

"Well," he says, still smirking, "Luke got to sign boobs."

I hit him lightly in the arm. "Go catch up with them, then, you might get to as well." I nod in the direction the girls went.

"Nah, I'm alright," Michael says, leaning closer to me. "I got something better."

"Which is?" My heart is beating faster. Help me.

"Your face."

Before I can react, he's swiped the pen over my face. "Mikey, no! That's permanent marker!"

He just laughs at me trying to remove whatever he's drawn on me. I guess I've only smudged it out.

When he's caught his breath from laughing, he suddenly goes serious. "Are you free tonight?"

"Nope."

"Why not?"

"I have revision to do."

"What about–"

"Michael, get the last box so we can go!" Luke calls from the doorway. The lanky blond idiot is way too good at ruining a moment. Especially between Michael and myself.

Michael's sentence gets cut short and ends in a sigh and a kiss to my cheek. "I'll text you later."

-

hope you're well, safe and sound

~lauren