Epilogue

A/N: Don't mean to break the flow of the story, but I think it's necessary, or at least recommended, to play the above video when the song comes on in the story. It's called The Promise, you'll know when to play it.

5 Years Later

           Today was going to be the best day of Serah's life. Her dress was perfect, thanks to Izzabel, who'd designed and sewn it for her, one of many gifts and favors she always said were thanks for reuniting her with Vanille. Her groom was perfect, Noel had (finally) asked her to marry him a year ago and made sure that she had everything she needed. Her friends would all be there. Hope and Maqui had just returned from their honeymoon a week ago, and were going to be groomsmen along with Yuj. Izzi, Vanille, and Midna were going to be the bridesmaids. Funny that everyone in the ceremony was already married. Except, of course, Claire, Izzi and Vanille's daughter who'd just turned 3, who was going to be the flower girl. Everyone would be there, except Lightning, of course.

          Lightning had never returned. Serah and Noel had gone for a while again to look for her, but it was for nothing, as they'd never found her. She had a picture of Lightning smiling on her 20th birthday framed on her nightstand, and she would have that in an honorary spot at the reception table. She would have had Lightning walk her down the aisle, but instead she was going to have Fang do it. Fang had become the mother of the group, so it was only fitting that the oldest walk her down the aisle. 

          Serah sat up and stretched, smiling, when she heard a knock at the door of her bedroom. When she opened it, she was bombarded with hugs from Izzi, Vanille, and Midna. 

          "We have so much to do!" Vanille squealed "I'm so excited!!" 

          "Noel isn't awake yet, the groomsmen are downstairs, waiting for us to bring you out before they wake him up." Midna said in her smooth voice.

          "Why can't I see him?" Serah pouted and looked at Izzabel, master of weddings. 

          "It's tradition. If you do see him, it's bad luck for the whole marriage, supposedly." she looked at Vanille. "We did it too, and nothing's gone wrong so far." 

          Serah laughed. "As if anything could go wrong with you two." 

          "Alright, anyway, we have to go, before Noel wakes up by himself." Midna, the voice of reason, interjected.

          "Well hang on I have to put on some other clothes," Vanille said, as she was still in her pajamas. "Give me like 30 seconds." she waltzed into her closet, smiling, and came out about a minute later, wearing jeans and a t-shirt.

          "I've got your 'wedding day kit'." Izzabel gestured to the white wheeling suitcase that held her makeup and accessories. "And your dress is at my house."

          "Alright." Serah took a deep breath. "Let's go." They quickly tiptoed out of the room, walking past the guest room that Noel had stayed in tonight, so as not to wake him up. 

          When they got downstairs, Hope, Maqui and Yuj were there. Maqui and Hope were holding hands and looking around at the new house longingly. Serah and Noel had bought it about a year ago but had just moved in during the month that they were gone. 

          "Hope! Maqui!" Serah greeted warmly. "I know we don't have time but hey, I haven't seen you two in months!" She hugged both of them, and Midna smiled, partly at her, partly at her husband Yuj, but pointed at her watch. Serah rolled her eyes and nodded, waving to the three as she was whisked out the door. They walked upstairs as soon as they left, leaving Serah to wonder how Noel was doing. Was he nervous? Getting cold feet?

          "Noel's not one to get cold feet, is he?" she asked as they began the drive to Izzi and Vanilles house.

          "Are you kidding me? You know that once he makes a decision...." Izzi twanged, "He won't go back on his word."

          "Besides, you know how much he loves you! How much you love him." Vanille decided to go the more caring route. 

          "Yeah, I know, it's just that...I don't know wedding jitters, I suppose." I sighed. 

          "Once you're all dolled up, trust me, everything will be perfect. You won't be nervous anymore." Izzi smiled knowingly at Vanille. 

           "All right, I trust you guys," she chuckled. And she really did. 

---------------------

          This was it. This was the moment she had been waiting for since Noel proposed to her on the lake at sunset. She took a deep breath, and opened her eyes. Fang had led her to the doorway, of course standing behind the bridesmaids and groomsmen. It was funny to see Maqui and Hope paired with girls, but it was for the symmetry, as all of them were married to each other and two of the couples were same-sex. Serah finally realized that all her best friends were looking at her, wishing her good luck, telling her how happy she was. Then, Lightning's favorite song came on, The Promise. 

          The title was quite fitting for a wedding, but the main reason it was her wedding march was because Lightning couldn't be here. She smiled and closed her eyes to listen intently to the song, letting the notes wash over her and trusting Fang to lead her on when her cue came. Then, Fang's arm dropped. Serah frowned. Why would Fang leave now, of all times? Then the reassuring warmth of her arm came again and she smiled gently.

          "You didn't think you were going to get married without me, did you?" Serah's eyes flashed open and she blanched. Yes, unless her eyes deceived her, there stood Lightning, dressed in a long lilac dress that decidedly clashed with the color scheme, she'd never had much experience with fashion, but Serah didn't care. 

          "Are you real?" she breathed, unable to work out anything else. 

          "Of course, kid. I wouldn't miss my own little sister's wedding for the world." Lightning smiled down at her. "Now we'd better hurry up, or you're going to miss your cue." Serah didn't have time to process the information just dumped on her, so it felt like she was floating on clouds when they stepped out into the chapel. Everyone let out a collective gasp. The focus was not only on Serah, in her stunning white silk gown that faded gently into a light blue, but also on her older sister, who'd mysteriously disappeared for 5 years and just came back in time for her sister's wedding. 

           Noel, however, was only focused on Serah, and Serah, only focused on Noel. She was already crying tears of joy over Lightning, and now more tears spilled out of her eyes, flowing unceremoniously over her lips, smiling as wide as they possibly could. She was a little bit satisfied when a tear leaked its way out of Noel's eyes when they finally made eye contact. This little moment had lasted only the first two steps, and Serah could not wait any longer to be at Noel's side. She held on tight to Lightning's arm and jogged over to the altar, leaving the congregation chuckling, and much too much song left. Serah, however, didn't notice, as she was with Noel. 

          Lightning had stepped respectfully off to the side, standing in front of where her picture was, making a new addition to the wedding that made everything so much more perfect than she could ever have imagined it.

----------------

A/N: OH MY GOD. I JUST FINISHED A BOOK. ALSO WOAH. THat ending is so emotional when you have the song on. I hope you played the song. I could have explained why Lightning was back, but this seemed like the best ending with the best closure, and maybe it's better for you guys to figure out why she's back. Was Serah always living in the new world Bhunivelze had created? Or was this just a freak accident and Lightning was stuck in a village with native Pulsians for 5 years, finally finding her way back to Serah after fighting her way tooth and claw for years? Or something else completely different? I don't know, that's for you to figure out on your own. Thank you guys for all the reads, and votes, and comments, you don't know how much it means to me, I love you all! Especially thank you to those who were here when I first posted this story, and stuck with me through the like 3 years it took me to write this. I LOVE YOU SO MUCH!