Chapter 14

Noel rolled his eyes at Yuj and Midna. They were walking just a bit ahead of him, still annoyingly lovey dovey. Maqui was ahead of all of them, leading like he was proud he knew where the cafe was when nobody else had. Noel kept on trying to see through his facade, but it was impossible, considering how much the light-haired man was ignoring him.

        They came upon the cafe within fifteen minutes of the beginning of their search. The outside was...shabby to say the least. The sign was just a piece of plywood nailed to the eaves with blue paint scrawled messily on it reading "Blue Bliss Cafe". Noel stole a glance at Midna and Maqui, who'd recommended the place. They were to busy being almost inside the cafe. Noel ran to catch up.

        The inside was much cozier than the exterior suggested. It smelled very strongly of coffee, but there were mixes of cinnamon, steamed milk, creamer, whipped cream, and hot chocolate scents.

        Noel smelled the air and smiled reflexively. Then he immediately scowled again when he realized what he was doing. How could he smile when he knew that Serah might never remember him? He remembered all the bad things in the world to get himself to stop smiling. Serah might not remember him. Yeul was dead, forever. He may eventually have to tell Serah that Lightning didn't come back, or that Snow was her fiancee and that he had been killed.

        Noel flinched as there was a tap on his shoulder. Midna stood there with her finger on his shoulder, and when he gave her a blank look, still scowling a little, she laughed.

        "Come on Noel, what do you want?" Yuj grabbed his wrist and yanked him over to the counter where the barista stood patiently waiting with a smile on her face.

        "Um-I don't really know anything about coffee..." he stuttered and looked helplessly at Yuj and Midna. Yuj rolled his eyes. 

        "He'll take a caramel frappe. Thanks." he gave the barista his friendliest smile and she smiled back, nodding, and turning to make the coffee. Nobody else worked there.

        Noel relaxed and allowed Yuj to drag him to a table. Midna and Maqui waited to take the coffee. When Yuj and Noel were seated across the table from eachother, Yuj looked at Noel intensely. 

        "Maqui told us about the necklace." He wasted no time. Noel's eye twitched slightly. He frowned. 

        "And?" Noel queried. Yuj shifted, contemplating his answer. 

        "And...I agree with Maqui. You should show it to her."

        Noel was about to launch into a rant that may have lasted a long while, but they were interrupted by Midna and Maqui with the coffee. Midna gave Yuj a pointed look and smiled, beginning to talk about the weather or something unrelated. 

        Noel let his mind wander off, thinking (as he always did) of other ways to make Serah remember. 

        As he was in his daydream, sipping his frappe (which he didn't want to admit he liked...a lot) Maqui was watching him carefully.