Chapter 11

The fan above Noel's head whispered as he sat at the simple table in Hope's kitchen. Hope sat across the table only big enough for two. There was much tension in the air. Noel's mind was obviously on Snow's  necklace. Hope's mind was on Maqui. Maqui, with his stupid goggles and his stupid clothes, and his stupid hair that was the perfect shade of blonde.  Why did he exist? It wasn't fair. Hope had always wanted to be a normal guy, live in a normal house, with his normal family. 

        That was never going to happen.

        First of all, he'd known he liked boys since 6th grade. Although it sounds like it might have been a phase, it wasn't. He could tell you that, since now as a 25-year-old, he was in love with a man. That man was in love with his worst enemy's ex fiance, whom his best friend had pretty much claimed. Yeah, kind of messed up. Hope knew, however, that Serah could only love Maqui as a friend or a brother. He'd come around. Maybe he'd find Hope somewhat attractive. It was unlikely, though.

        Second, he was transformed into a magic-bearing slave and went on a journey to save the world when he was 14 years old, and it had worked. With 5 other, older people, all completely different, he had saved the world. Nobody other than the people involved knew what happerned there, though.

        Third, more recently, he'd created a new one. A new world to live in, one safe from the influence of the Fal'Cie. It had only taken a few graviton cores, which Hope and Serah had been kind enough to gather for him from time and space. That time had kind of made him famous, if he wasn't already  famous from being a leader of the Academy. Of course, only Noel would remeber that now. They'd saved the world and she might never remember.

        Noel was thinking about just that, when he and Serah had whisked through time together. Those were memories Noel'd keep forever, but he wasn't so sure about the latter... He could make her remember. They had been too close for her to forget forever. Right? Everything they did together had been for nothing.

        Noel and Hope jumped simultaneously as the doorbell rang. Hope cleared his throat and got up. 

        "I'll get that," he broke the silence.

        He came back from the front door with Maqui, Yuj, and Midna in tow. 

        "Found these three lost puppies at the front door. They don't know what to do today." Hope said, mentally nudging Noel, hoping he'd get the point. He was also trying to cheer him up. It'd been far too long since he'd smiled. Maybe this would help.

        "Fine," Noel sighed, rolling his eyes as he got up to stand next to them. "What do you want to do?" he said, walking out the kitchen door and not really caring.

        Hope stood near the door as well and watched Maqui. He hoped that he wouldn't say anything to Noel about the necklace. He couldn't have his best friend and his crush fighting.