6. Blow the Whistle

Into the fire — or maybe it's out of the fire and into... wait, I don't remember. Hell?

~Ally~

"You ready?" Cassidy wiped some lip gloss from her mouth and checked herself out in the mirror. "Because I know I am."

I laughed. "Yes, you are."

She had on a miniskirt, heels, and a short shirt. I'd never be caught dead wearing something like that. Uncle Jo would kill me. I would want to kill me. I mean, that's how girls got into trouble.

"Okay." She turned, a scowl on her face. "You can't wear that."

"What?" I looked down at my straight-leg jeans and boots, I had a white T-shirt on and my hair in a ponytail.

"It's a party."

"I know." I shrugged. "I'm wearing clothes."

"Yes." Cassidy's tone was far from encouraging. "But you're also not a nun, and right now you look like you're homeschool."

Homeschool? All the kids I knew that were homeschool were completely normal, crap I'd begged my uncle to homeschool me after everything.

I looked down at my clothes and shrugged.

A heavy pounding assaulted the door and then Dez burst through.

"Damn, cousin, you aiming to get laid tonight?"She smiled and Dez' eyes fell to me.

"And you're dressed like a first grade teacher. Why?"

"Very funny."I retorted.

"Wasn't kidding." He mock-choked as his eyebrows danced suggestively.

With a sigh I turned back to Cassidy.

"This is the type of thing I wear. I don't wear short skirts and belly tops and—"

"See, the very fact that you called this," she pointed at her shirt, "A belly top, tells me one thing."

"What?"

"You need help."

Dez nodded his agreement.

"Guys, I'm not Cinderella."

Smirking, Dez leaned in and murmured, "Drop your shoe, I dare you."

"Ohhh, he wants to pick up your shoe." Cassidy joked.

"It's a boot," I clarified, lifting my foot to show off the shiny black leather.

"Either or." Dez gave a flirty shrug. "And clothes or no clothes, you're still hot, but if I were you, and I had Austin–freaking-Moon panting after me, I'd make him work for it."

"I, uh..." Playing with my long ponytail, I looked in the mirror. They were right. I looked Amish. I used to be into fashion, but lately things just seemed semi-pointless.

At least I was eating and showering — not that Dez and Cassidy needed to know that.

It was a giant feat for me to be able to take care of myself.