38. The wedding

~Austin~

"Lamb?" I tilted her chin towards me then brushed a soft kiss across her lips. Her mouth trembled.

"Yes?" Ally grinned through a tear-stained face. "Big bad wolf?"

"No blowing houses down," I teased. "I'd rather build one with you. How's that for changing my ways?"

Ally threw her arms around me and squeezed my neck.

A few throats cleared.

"Right." I stepped away. "So we should probably get married now."

Her face was tear-stained—and gorgeous. She nodded and let me lead her farther into the surgical room where our families were standing. Everyone was standing near the wall—everyone but Uncle JoBob, who was standing by himself holding a bible in hand.

Ally gave me a confused look.

I just shrugged my shoulders and continued walking. We stopped once we reached JoBob.

"Your parents..." Uncle JoBob started, his voice loud, and clear as it echoed throughout the room. "...would be so proud of you." His eyes shimmered with tears.

I gripped Ally's hand. My heart performed a little flip at the fact that I was actually going to be marrying her in a few minutes. And that dress? It was gorgeous. Exactly what Cassidy had described.

Simple in its form. It was head to toe silk, with a lace overlay. It didn't take away form Ally's beauty—nothing ever could—but merely added to it. She wore her hair piled around her head, wisps of brown fluttering around her face and loose strands trailing down her back.

She was like ice cream. Like a chocolate cake. Like the perfect desert.

"We are gathered here," Uncle Jobob said.

Ally's mouth fell open. "You're marrying us?"

"—sweetheart, don't interrupt the man marrying us," I whispered with a gentle laugh.

Uncle Jobob gave us a stern look then glanced at my dad who was also trying to hide his amusement.

"As I was saying..." Uncle Jobob glared at Ally and continued. "We're gathered here to celebrate the life of Austin and Ally and their desire to join together as one." His hands trembled as he held them out in front of him. "Love is often measured unfairly. People throw the word around so flippantly that society rarely gets a true glimpse of what it means to love something—to love someone so much that it's the basis for your entire existence. To love someone so much that you'd be willing to trade places—even in death. Well, I can't imagine a stronger type of love than that of sacrifice. So your marriage, Austin and Ally, is not only a celebration of a new beginning, but of the sacrificial love you share with each other."

JoBob dabbed his face with a tissue and went on, "Dez, the rings."

Dez stepped around me and handed the four rings to JoBob.