16. Kiss a hot guy ? Check

For the first time in a year, I wanted to live — because I wanted to spend every freaking day watching her open her eyes to the world. Hell, I wanted to be the first thing she saw. Sometimes, reality's a bitch.

~Austin~

I don't know what I'd thought she'd be wearing — but it wasn't that. It was a short skirt, a billowy shirt, and high heels made to make guys want to touch her feet. And I was so not a foot person.

"You look..." I swallowed. "Beautiful."

I heard Dez grunt behind her. So clearly he still wasn't a fan. I made a mental note to try to win him over later that week rather than sit by and listen to him grunt and groan every time I paid a compliment to the girl I liked.

Aw, crap. I was crushing.

And I really didn't have the luxury of doing that.

I looked at her skirt again and the legs that led up to those full cute hips. Damn.

"You ready?" I croaked, sounding like a pubescent teen.

"Sure." She smiled warmly and grabbed a strappy thing I can only assume was a purse, either that or a weapon. I held out my arm and escorted her out the door.

"Got your whistle?" I asked.

"Check."

"Cell phone?"

"Check."

"List?"

She stopped walking and looked up into my eyes. "You know you really don't have to help me with that. I mean, I'm sure I can—"

"Stop." I pressed a finger to her lips. "We're going to tackle the list, but remember, I said I could only help with a few. That whole falling in love thing will have to be saved for someone who's worthy of that heart of yours."

She laughed. "How do you know my heart's good?"

I stopped and pressed my palm flat against her chest, relishing the way her healthy heart slammed against my skin.

I could almost feel it beating for my heart, making it stronger. I pulled back, noticing the flush in her cheeks.

"It's a good heart. Strong beat, though I'm pretty sure it skipped one when I touched you."

"Very funny." She looked away.

"I can tell you have a good heart..." I sighed, opening the door to the outside. "...because the minute I met you, I wanted to fight for it."

She was silent.

"That's how you can tell when someone has a good heart."

"When you want to start a war?" She laughed, clearly trying to lighten my mood.

"Nah." I sighed. "When you want to be the one to make it beat."

I seriously needed to stop coming on so strong. I was going to send her screaming down the street, and I really didn't want to see her sprain her ankle in those kick ass heels.