Chapter 9: Last Time

Tobin's POV
Alex and me walked to the conference room because the veterans called us in for a team meeting. I don't know what's it about. Once we get there I sit next to ARod and Alex sits next to KO.

"Where's Lauren?" I ask Amy.
"Uh I don't know she said she needed to say something in this meeting so she's probably with the veterans."
"Oh okay." I respond slightly confused.

Finally once we are all seated the veterans and Lauren come in. I give ARod a high five because she was right, Lauren was with the veterans.

"Alright ladies Cheney has some stuff to share with all of you." Carli says.
Lauren smiles, takes a deep breathe and looks down at the floor then looks up at us. She was silent for a minute but no one spoke, we just waited for her to start speaking. She takes another deep breathe and begins to speak.

"I'm retiring guys..." Lauren says. "I've made my decision to retire from the national team and from my club team.
My mouth just drops as I sit there with Amy confused.

"I want to spend time with my family now.... This wasn't an easy choice for me to make but I know this is what I want. I know I'm still young but I think it's time for me to hang up my cleats and start the next chapter of my life. The past what 10 years? With this team was amazing and I won't forget any of it. So thank you everyone for making my soccer career a good one and for giving me the opportunity to put on the USA jersey, it was an absolute honor."

I was sad but happy for her. I looked at Amy and saw she was tearing up a bit. I was to. Then I started clapping and pretty soon the whole team was clapping for her. I got up, walked over to Lauren and gave her a hug. Everyone followed along and we were in another big group hug.

After that everyone started to leave the room but Amy and me stayed with Lauren for a while.
"So when are you gonna leave?" Amy asked.
"I have two games left with all of you." Lauren said in a kind of sad tone. Then the three of us sat in silence for a bit but it was a comfortable silence.

"You guys will always be my best friends and we will never be apart." Lauren said breaking the silence. "It's my turn to watch you guys play from the stands and cheer for all of you."
"I'd give you a free pass to watch from our bench." I said with a smile.
"I think I'd like that."

We talked for a while then after that we all went back to our rooms. Once I got back to my room I saw Alex watching tv so I sat down and joined her.
"You okay Tobs?"
"Yea I'm fine, I'm just really gonna miss her. She's been my best friend for a long time and we joined this team together and we just have a really strong bond with each other."
"I'm gonna miss her to. I'm not as close to her like you are but Lauren's always been there for me."

"We should do something special for her on her last game." Alex suggests.
"Yea we should. I can talk to Carli about it tomorrow."
"Sounds good."

We both watched tv for a while then I decided to go to sleep."I think I'm gonna call it a day. Goodnight Alex."
"Night Tobin."

Alex's POV
The next day after practice Tobin and me went to talk to Carli and Abby about planning sometching special for Lauren on her last game.
"So what's up?" Abby asks.
"Well since Lauren has two more games left we thought about doing something special for her on Her last game.
"So what do you have in mind?" Carli asked.

Tobin and me told them our idea and they liked it. It's something Lauren will remember forever.
"I love it, it's such a great idea." They both said.
"Great! So it's a go?" I ask excited they liked it.
"Defiantly. I'll tell the team soon."

Lauren's last game

Lauren's POV
I woke up the next morning with a lot of emotions inside my head. This was my last game with this team. This was my last game with the stands packed with fans. This was my last game in a USA uniform.