Chapter 11: I'd Fight For You

Alex's POV
Tobin and me got on the bus and we headed to the stadium. Today we are playing Canada. Once we got there we put our warm up outfits on and waited for warm ups to start. I looked to the locker next to me that belonged to Lauren. Her name and number were still there though. I just look at her empty locker and just smile. She was an amazing soccer player and an even better person off the field.

Finally the entire team went out for warm ups. I see Tobin and Amy still do there usual ritual that they did with Lauren.
Me and Tobin passed the ball to each other, we did some other drills, then we went back to the locker rooms. We had our usual pep talk and we got ready for the game. We lined up and head out onto the field.

Canada was very physical and played kind of dirty. They probably hate us for knocking them out of the World Cup final and the 2012 London Olympics.
At around the 64th minute I passed the ball to Tobin and watched her dribble the ball down the field. Then I saw a defender come charging full speed towards Tobin and didn't slow down.
"Tobin!" I yelled. She looked up as the defender hit her. Anger filled my body. I went over to Tobin and saw her holding her knee. I waved the medical staff over to help.

I was angry so I did what Alex Morgan usually does. I went up to the defender that hit Tobin and started yelling at her.
"Hey!" I yelled at her and she turned around and faced me. "That was a dirty hit and you know it."
"Whatever. Why don't you shut up and get your ass away from me."
Why don't you make me get away from you." I say back.
"Okay" then without me knowing she threw a punch at me and hit me right in the jaw. Then I threw a punch back and we started exchanging punches.
"Alex, Alex enough!" Carli says as she pulls me away. Then I saw a couple of my teammates help calm things down. I saw the ref come up to me and give me a red card. The other girl got one to.
"Number 13 off now." The ref says to me.

Carli walks me off the field then I walk back to the locker room with one of the coaches. I take a shower and change into some sweat pants and my USA sweatshirt. I clean my knuckles that have blood on them from punching then I sit down and watch the rest of the game from inside the locker room. I wonder how Tobin is. I was so angry to even know if Tobin was okay.

We ended up winning the game 2-1 with Tobin getting hurt around the 65th minute and me getting ejected around the 67th minute. What I game. I put my headphones on and listen to music while I wait for everyone to start coming in.

"Where's Tobin?" I ask Amy as she walks in. "Uhh I think she's in the training room."
"Thanks." I say and make my way to the training room. Once I get there I knock so I don't scare anybody. I walk in and see Tobin getting her knee wrapped and iced.

"Hey Tobin"
"Oh hey Alex" she says with a smile.
"So how are you?" I ask as I grab a chair and move it next to the bed she was sitting on.
"Alright I guess. It just hurts a little."

"Alex what happened to your hand?" She picks up my hand and gets some gauze and puts it on my bloody knuckles.
"I kind of got into fight..."
"With who? Tell me what happened."
"The defender that hit you. I was angry at her for hitting you intentionally. She threw the first punch and I fought back and yea I got a red card and left the game."
"You didn't have to fight Lex"
"Well Tobin I'm tired of seeing you get hurt all the time. Since no one is gonna do anything about it then I will." It stayed silent for a minute after I said that.

"Thank you Alex for being there for me." Tobin said breaking the silence.
"I told you I got your back and I meant it." She smiled and I gave her a hug.
"What would I do without you Alex Morgan."

After that the entire team got back on the bus we went back to our hotel. Everyone was tired. It was a pretty rough game but we still won.
Once we got back to the hotel Tobin and me walk back to our room. I take a quick shower put some comfy clothes on and go straight to bed.

I couldn't sleep at all. I woke up and checked the time and it was around 1 in the morning. I laid in bed and just stared at the ceiling not sure of what to do. So I get up and decided to just walk around the hotel or something. When I get out of my room I look at the balcony and see Tobin standing outside. I guess she couldn't get any sleep either. I open the balcony door and stand next to her.

"Couldn't sleep?" I say as I approach her. She just shakes her head no.
"Are you okay Tobin?"
"Yeah I'm fine."
"Okay Tobin I've been your best friend for so long I know when you're lying. So come on Tobs tell me what's going on. We always tell each other everything."

She doesn't respond and it gets me worried. "Did I do anything wrong?" I think back to any moment I spent with Tobin. I know I haven't done anything wrong but I still ask her.
"No you've done nothing wrong it's just me." Tobin finally answers.

"Then what's wrong?" I ask trying not to push her.
"Honestly I'm not sure. I just feel lost and unmotivated to do anything and I don't know why... This world is just one big giant mess."
"I agree with you on that. Is there anything I can do?"
"Well you can give me a hug because I'm getting cold." She says with a slight laugh.

I smile at her and pull her in for a hug. "You know you can tell me anything Tobs, I'll always be there for you."

We both go back inside and head back to our rooms. "Goodnight Alex or good morning."
I laughed. "Goodnight Tobin." I was able to go to sleep after that. I guess all I needed was to talk to Tobin.

Tobin's POV
Once I woke up the next morning I got my stuff and Alex's stuff ready for practice. There was only two more games left in this victory tour before we all return to our club teams. That means I have a couple days left to spend with Alex before we go our separate. Long distance friendships are hard but I'm not going to screw this one up like I did before. Once Alex wakes up I give her bag to her and we go down for our team breakfast.

"Were you able to sleep after our little conversation on the balcony?" I ask Alex.
"Yes I did actually. Did you?" I just nod my head yes.
Once we got to breakfast we both sit with Amy and Kelley.
"Good morning to all my lovely friends!" Kelley says.
"Good morning KO" I say to her.

"Since we didn't get to talk about it last night, that was a great fight Alex! I honestly would have done the same." Amy says.
"Thanks." Alex says with a smile.
"I would have done the same thing. Like if I fought that girl, she would be KO!" Kelley says and we all laugh.
"By the way, how is your knee Tobin?" Amy asked me.
"Uhh it's good for the most part. Like I'll be able to play and stuff."
"That's good. Like if you missed anymore games I might actually cry because you belong out on the field Tobs."
"Thanks Amy."

After breakfast we all went out to the field and started practice. It was hot out and everyone felt like they were going to pass out but we still managed to have fun. After practice all the forwards had to stay for a couple minutest to practice something. Kelley and me sat next to each other and took our shin guards and cleats off.
"Hey Tobs you wanna surprise Alex?"
"What are you planning now Kelley?" I say with a laugh.
She smiles. "Well when they are done with there forwards practice we should go up behind her and pour that cooler of ice water on her." Kelley says with a grin on her face.
"I think we got ourselves a plan." I say.

Once they are done practicing Alex sits down and starts removing her cleats and shin guards.
"Nows are chance, ready Tobs?" I smile and nod. We lift up the cooler of water and go up behind Alex.
I look at Kelley and she starts mouthing the numbers one, two, three. Then we pour it on her.

Alex screams and sits there frozen while Kelley and me are behind her dying with laughter.
"YOU GUYS ARE SOO DEAD!" Alex says and starts laughing.
"Here do you want a towel?" I ask Alex still dying of laughter.
"Yes I do actually!" Alex says. The three of us laugh and KO gives her a towel.
"Well I guess you don't need to hit the ice bath anymore!"
"Hahaha your SOO funny Tobin."

The three of us walk back to the hotel and go to our rooms.
"You have to admit it was pretty funny"' I tell Alex.
"Okay yes it was but you better watch your back Tobin Heath!"

I wanted the last couple of days together to be really fun and honestly I was looking forward to what ever Alex has planned for me.

Authors Note: Sorry for not updating soon enough. I've been really busy and I wanted to make this chapter long enough. But I hope you enjoyed this chapter😊 I want to finish this story before my school starts so this story will be coming to an end soon. Like this story might have two or three more chapters left.  Thanks for reading this chapter!:)