Chapter Six: A Nagging Question

A/n- For anyone wondering, Aira is pronounced A-long a sound. I-long i sound and then ra. So
A-i-ra. It's actually a Celtic name that means wind and Amaya means weather. Just a side-note :) enjoy! -LL_17

Aira had been working at The Four Winds Tea Shop for about a week now. Misako hadn't let her run the shop on her own yet but she most likely would soon.

One day she came in to find Lloyd standing behind the counter.

"What do you want?" Aira said nervously.

"Do I need a reason to be in my own Uncle's shop?"

"Uh- no, I suppose not," she said putting on her apron. She purposefully avoided him and went into the back room. "Where is Misako?"

"She needed a day off," Lloyd answered. "My mom works too hard."

"She's your mom?!"

"I don't know why everyone acts so surprised when I say that," Lloyd said.

"You don't really look like her," Aira said carefully.

She was actually surprised that Lloyd was talking to her. He had avoided the shop all week.

"I get that a lot too," Lloyd said. "People say I look more like my dad."

"Can I ask you a question?" Aira asked.

"You just did," Lloyd smirked.

"Oh no, I'm not going into that verbal battle," Aira laughed. She hadn't laughed in so long! It was good to finally laugh again. "But seriously. You know who I am. Why didn't you tell the others?"

Lloyd turned serious and furrowed his brow. "Well, now that you have a job; I doubt you will be thieving anymore."

"What does that have to do with it? I'm still a thief," she said raising an eyebrow.

"Yes," Lloyd answered. "But you were stealing medicine. I'm assuming you needed it for a sick friend or family member. Though the ends don't justify the means. We all do wrong at some point but we need the chance to do something right."

"I don't understand," Aira said.

"Basically I felt bad for you," Lloyd shrugged. "Not to mention your a master of wind that has no idea what she is doing."

"But won't the pharmacy owner be upset?"

"He owed me a favor," Lloyd shrugged. "He has already dropped the incidents."

"I don't understand you," Aira said cocking her head. "I break into a store, steal, stupidly attack you, and give you a nasty cut; yet, you still aren't turning me in."

"I don't think you've had very many people think about you instead of themselves," Lloyd said crossing his arms. "Besides I used to be just like you."

"The green ninja? Like me?"

"Actually I was worse," Lloyd said not offering anymore details.

"Thankyou," Aira said allowing a small smile. "Truce?"

"Truce and your welcome. Now will you answer me a question?"

"Sure?"

"Who else in your family has your elemental power?"

"I have no idea," Aira said shaking her head. "I haven't told my mom about it."

"Does your mom have this power?"

"No."

"What about your dad?" Lloyd asked.

"I never knew my dad," she answered, "so I wouldn't know."

Lloyd scratched his head. "Well, I've had a run in with another master of wind in the past."

"Really?"

"Yes, and all of us with elemental powers are all descendants of an original elemental master," he explained.

"So the person you met was most likely related to me?"

"I suggest you ask your mom," Lloyd said.

"Okay, I will," Aira said nodding.

"Hey, whose the new girl?" Asked a brown, spiky haired guy in a red GI.

"I'm Aira," she said extending a hand. "Your Sensei hired me to work here. Since the ninja's schedule is kinda unpredictable."

"Pft! You got that right. I'm Kai, master of fire," he said winking.

"Kai, everyone know who we are," Lloyd said rolling his eyes.

"Hey, I'm trying to impress a cute girl here," he said in a fake whisper. "Geez, you need to lighten up, Lloyd. Where did your sense of humor go? You used to be the biggest jokester among us."

"He probably just had a lot on his mind," Aira said coming to Lloyd's defense. "He is the green ninja after all."

"Ah someone is defending you, Lloyd," Kai said elbowing him.

"Good," he laughed, "I need an ally against you guys."

Aira smiled. Maybe she could fit in somewhere after all. "You betcha! I have a couple of pranks up my sleeve."

"Oh no, last time Lloyd pranked someone, he turned Zane's uniform pink!" Kai said laughing. "Please don't encourage him."

"Hey! I was a little kid!" Lloyd said smirking.

"You loved it don't deny it!" Kai said still laughing.

"How long have you guys been ninja if that was when Lloyd was a kid?" Aira asked.

"That's a long story," Lloyd said. Aira looked at them in confusion. Kai just started laughing harder.

"Okay, Kai," Lloyd said smiling. "We have a store to run so get!"

"I'm going. I'm going," Kai said leaving.

Aira turned to Lloyd again. "Okay, I'm feeling better now. I've been dying to ask you that question all week."

"Glad to help."

"I see you and Aira have become friends," Wu said entering.

"Well, better acquainted," Aira said.

"Nah, I think we have become friends," Lloyd said waving his hand.

Aira's smile brightened. Lloyd was probably the most selfless, forgiving guy she had ever met. Maybe she could rebuild her life after all?

*********************************

"I fail to see how just conjuring up some rain would be disturbing to the ninja," Alita said exasperated.

"The earth ninja is a ghost," Amaya answered. "You said to shake them up a bit."

"I meant in a more permanent way," Alita said.

"We have got to be the worst villians ever," Amaya said shaking her head. "How did I let you talk me into this?"

"No, your the worst villain ever," Alita shouted. "I guess I'll have to take care of this myself. I think we need to kill a loved one."

Next: Chapter Seven: Death by Association