Chapter Eight: Why?

A/n- hey guys! I can see people are reading this. Please let me know what you think and vote! The more votes, the more people see it; and the more people that can enjoy! Thx! -LL_17

Lloyd ran as quickly as he could down the mountain slope.

"You can't run forever, Green Ninja," said an eerie voice. "You know your father's death was your fault! When are you going to stop running from the truth!?"

"Go away!" Lloyd shouted.

He turned and powered up a green energy ball. Except the owner of the voice was nowhere in site.

"Face it, Lloyd! You will never be able to live it down! You will continue to get other people killed until all of your friends and family are gone!"

"Stop!"

A image of Garmadon materialized in front of him. "Son, you could have saved me!"

"Ah!" Lloyd came awake with a start.

He found that he was sweating and breathing heavily. He wasn't sure why he kept having these stupid nightmares. He sat on the edge of his bed and put his face in his hands. He wasn't getting anywhere by himself. Maybe he should talk to Sensei Wu? No, he would just say something that Lloyd didn't understand.

Lloyd looked over at the clock. It was almost six. Well, he had gotten more sleep than most nights. He supposed that was an improvement.

"I may as well get some early morning exercise in," Lloyd mumbled to himself.  He was supposed to pick up that order as soon as Aira got to work. She wouldn't be here till about eight.

Lloyd quickly showered and got dressed. He hurried down to the exercise room and began punching at one of the many punching bags in the room. There was probably specific stuff he could be working on but he didn't feel like it. He punched for a while and then was startled by a voice.

"Up so early?" Sensei Wu said from the corner of the room.

"Ah! I'm sorry, Uncle," Lloyd said. "I didn't mean to disturb you."

"I do not believe I am the one disturbed at the moment," Wu countered. "What is troubling you, Lloyd?"

"Nothing. I'm fine," he said starting to punch at the bag again.

"I know you too well, Nephew," Wu said shaking his head. "Something is troubling you but you will reveal it in your own time."

"Uncle, how did you end up hiring Aira?" Lloyd asked changing the subject.

"Why do you ask?"

"I think you know who she is same as me," Lloyd said.

"That was not correct English," Wu said.

Lloyd glared at Wu and stopped his punching. "Your avoiding my question."

"Your right," Wu said. Lloyd let out an exasperated sigh. "Speaking of Aira, I asked her to be here early today. But she is not here?"

"It's six?!"

"It's seven," Wu said. "I now know that you are troubled. You have been punching and kicking that thing for an hour yet you did not realize it."

"And you've been in here the whole time?"

"Yes, but back to Aira," Wu said worriedly. "She has never been late before."

"Maybe she is having an off morning?" Lloyd shrugged. "You want me to go check don't you."

"Something isn't right, Lloyd," Wu said. "I can feel it."

"I wish I could feel when Cole is cooking so I can disappear before dinner," Lloyd said sarcastically.

"Lloyd," Wu said warningly.

"Ya, ya, don't worry I'll check on her," Lloyd said exiting the room. He furrowed his brow. If Wu was that worried there probably was something wrong. Now he had Lloyd even more upset.

Wait, Lloyd thought to himself, I don't even know where she lives. Kai dropped her off last night. I'll ask him.

Lloyd walked up the stairs to Kai's room and opened the door.

"Kai," he said. Kai just mumbled something in his sleep but didn't wake up. "KAI!"

"Ah!" Kai shouted while falling out of bed with a thump. "What?!"

"Where does Aira live?"

"Huh? Why do you want to know?"

"Sensei Wu wanted me to go pick her up," Lloyd explained.

"Ok," Kai said skeptically. "Here."

Kai grabbed a nearby pencil and sheet of paper. He scribbled the address down and handed it to Lloyd.

"Thanks," Lloyd said taking it.

"Why are you up so early?" Kai asked raising an eyebrow.

"I couldn't sleep," Lloyd answered, leaving before Kai could ask any more questions.

*********************************

She lives in this dump? Lloyd thought to himself. He went up to the front door and knocked. When no one came he knocked again. He frowned and turned the door handle. It was unlocked so he cautiously entered. He could see a slightly open door at the end of the hall.

"Aira?"

He heard sobbing and instantly became alarmed. He walked quickly to the back room and opened the door.

Crumpled on the floor was Aira. She was curled up into a fetal position and sobbing uncontrollably. Lloyd became very alarmed. He was about to ask what was wrong when when he noticed the blood. There was blood everywhere!

"Aira! What happened?!"

"Lloyd?" She said sitting up. "Someone- they-my mom-."

That's all she got out before she started sobbing again. Lloyd looked over at the bed and saw a grey haired woman slumped against it. She had a knife plunged deep into her chest.

Lloyd rushed over to her and checked her pulse. He shook his head sadly as he confirmed that there was none.

"Why?!" Aira practically screamed. "Why would someone come in and kill a sick defenseless woman?! She hasn't done anything wrong!"

Lloyd rushed over to her and cradled her head against his chest. Aira just continued sobbing. Wu had been right. There was something wrong.

"Aira, I know your in pain right now but you need to tell me what happened," Lloyd said lifting her chin.

"I don't know," she said trying to control her crying. "I came home and there was a draft. I went into the kitchen and the window had been broken and then I found my mom here. Dead!"

Lloyd didn't ask anymore questions. He picked her up and carried her out of the blood soaked room.

Next: Chapter Nine: Revenge Heals Nothing