{1}

Becca's POV

Ever since my grandparents died, my family inherited a great fortune. My brother got their dogs, my parents got some money, my aunts and uncles inherited money as well, and my cousin, Skylar, inherited a car. But me? I inherited their mansion. I didn't know why, I didn't even know they had a mansion.

The inheritance was to be sealed when I reached the magical age of eighteen. I was relieved that the age I had to be was eighteen because I was still seventeen; though, not for long. It was July. The middle of July. The funeral was huge. It wasn't hard to find something to wear, though, because Skylar and I's closets are filled to the brim with black clothing. There were tears and kleenexes all over the place. The church had to retrieve more chairs due to there being so many people.

Skylar's family climbed in the pew beside my family. And, of course, she sat beside me.

"You inherited their mansion?" She asked, her stuffy nose making her voice weird.

"Yeah, seems so," I whispered back to her.

My mom weakly slapped my knee, still dabbing her eyes clean from all the tears.

"Pay more respect, girls," she snapped quietly and tearfully.

We apologized and waited sadly through the whole service.

~a few weeks later~

School was Hell. Three words to describe the first day of being a senior at North Valley High School. My grandparents, whom I was very close to, died. My life felt miserable and downright awful.

I just want to disappear...

~Friday~

"Alright, class, I don't like to give out homework on weekends, but I know this'll be fun," my favorite teacher, Mrs. Mint, stated to the class warmly.

English was my favorite class ever. Writing was kind of a passion for me. An aspiration.

"I want you to write a story."

My stomach did flips. I loved writing stories.

"I want you to write a story about the feelings you have during this time of your life. I want you to get in touch with your emotions and your five senses. Make it as short or long as you want. There are just a few rules, though."

We paused to listen.

"Be creative, no profanity, nothing not school appropriate, and have fun."

I grinned to my lap and tapped my fingers eagerly. This was gonna be a piece of cake.

~that night~

I sat at my desk in my room. I decided to type up my story because I most certainly did not enjoy the hand cramps I experienced writing with pencil and paper.

I pulled up Google Docs and began writing.

~Monday~

I walked to English with a skip in my step. I took my seat in the way back of the class and pushed my glasses back up the bridge of my nose. My mom keeps telling me we're going to get them shrunken since they are quite big on my face. My friends tell me it makes my greenish hazel eyes just pop out; especially with my naturally curly and dark eyelashes.

Then, once the clock struck 3:00, Mrs. Mint strutted into the English classroom. She sat crisscross on her desk and folded her hands in her lap. Good thing she was wearing pants. She had the biggest smile on her face.

"Alright, students, who wants to read their story first?"

I raised my hand quicker than everybody; everybody except for Charles Bronson.

Charles was a rude kid. I hated his guts, ever since kindergarten. He smirked at me as Mrs. Mint called on him instead of me. I frowned at him and let my hand slap against the top of the desk. Charles stood in front of the class and was holding a piece of notebook paper. He cleared his throat.

"Alright. My name is Charles. I'm cool and awesome. All the girls dig me. I feel awesome and cool," he read off the paper. He bowed as he said, "Thank you."

The class clapped in a 'I-have-to-do-this' way. I didn't even bother. I looked at my two friends who I was in class with and we laughed at how stupid the story was.

"Thank you, Charles. That was...interesting..." Mrs. Mint commented. "Who wants to go next?"

This time my hand shot up quicker than the first time.

"Becca Smith," Mrs. Mint grinned at me with the biggest genuine grin I've seen.

I returned the smile to her and turned to smirk at Charles. I reached the front of the class and my two friends smiled at me.

"My summer was eventful. I did nothing, but someone else did. God took away my grandparents this summer. It felt like a piece of my heart fell off and died..."

"If she had a heart," Charles whispered quite loudly to his friend and they started snickering.

I sent a death glare at them, wishing my look would choke them to death. Like the force with my eyes.

"The rest of the summer was a gloomy mass of depression, tears, and grieve. If you were near my family, it was so strong, you could smell it. Maybe even see it."

The sun was covered by sudden clouds and outside became gloomy. That's weird, I thought, today was supposed to have cloudless skies...

"It felt...unreal. It felt like a dream -no, a nightmare. It didn't feel like they were actually gone. It felt as if I was just imagining it all. That if I pinched myself hard enough, I would wake up from this horrible nightmare my twisted mind concocted."

"It was just your grandparents, sheesh," Charles laughed with his friend again.

"It felt like Satan had emerged from Hell himself and ripped me in half completely before dragging me down to the deep, dark, depths of Hell where the souls of the damned were banished," I hissed angrily, not looking at the paper but at Charles.

He was giving me a look of terror.

"Where did that come from?" He whispered horrifically to his friend who was also looking scared.

"Becca, I don't think that's really appropriate for class," Mrs. Mint said calmly.

"I'm sorry for using my creativity," I replied, still glaring at Charles who squirmed around under my gaze like a bug under a magnifying glass on a hot day.

"Becca, please sit down," Mrs. Mint said.

I still death glared at Charles. He was rude to me all my life. I needed to get him back. He needed a taste of his own medicine.

"Charles Bronson, you disgrace to mankind," I hissed under my breath.

Thunder rumbled close by. Lightning struck a tree by the window. Everyone jumped. The sky became cloudier...darker...

Rain hit the glass like cold hard bullets. My stare never faltered. I didn't flinch. Lightning struck again and the thunder clap shook the whole school. The power then went out. Everyone screamed.

"Witch! She's a witch!" Some girl screamed.

"She's crazy!" Charles shouted.

"I'm sure it was just a coincidence! Calm down, there's no such things as witches or magic!" Mrs. Mint argued, trying to calm the class down.

"Charles Bronson, feel my wrath..." I whispered.

The glass beside Charles burst and shattered to pieces. Lightning struck through the window and at Charles.

I finally blinked and realized what was happening.

"Oh, my..." I then ran out of the school once the power turned back on.