Chapter Two

Kathleen could feel a hand running down her arm. She groaned at the pounding in her head.

"Kathy?" She recognized her husbands voice. She opened her eyes and saw him sitting there next to her. His brown eyes were fully of worry, concern and guilt as he looked at her.

"Tom?" she replied though her voice was dry and cracked. "What are you doing here?" Tom offered her a small smile and laid his hand on her blond hair.

"The nurses called me, honey. They told me you'd been in a car accident." he said. "I'm so sorry! I feel like this is all my fault."

Maybe because it is your fault you cheating bastard, she thought to herself. She turned her head away from him and focused on the peeling paint on the cream colored wall next to her.

"Where is your girlfriend?" she asked. She knew it probably wasn't the right time for a fight but she was in a heck of a lot of pain and she really didn't feel like seeing his face right now.

"My wife comes first, Kathy. I don't want to lose you." he said gently. She snorted and then winced at the pain in her head.

"You can't only put me first when it makes you feel better, Tom. I would rather that you weren't here." Tom stood up.

"I love you, Kathy. Don't push me away." he said. She still didn't look at him as she starting picking lint balls off of the hospital blanket she was covered with.

"You already had your chance, Tom. You blew it and I will be just fine without you." she said matter of factly. Thomas shook his head.

"I'm sure you're only saying these things because of the medications and pain." he said. He looked at his watch. "It's almost one in the morning. I'll come back after work and sit with you, Kathy." She didn't reply and he walked out of the door.

Kathleen took the time then to really give herself a once over. None of her bones seemed to be broken. She had bruises on her arms and her head was pounding. There was a bandage across her left cheek and an IV in her hand.

As she sat alone in the dark room listening to the sound of nurses going up and down the halls, pages coming over the intercom and the dinging of IV machines she felt tears running freely from her eyes.

She fell asleep seeing flashes of Tom and his brunette 'friend' Regina naked in she and Tom's bed. But then after sleep claimed her, her dreams became a much different scene. She was cold and wet. The rain was beating down on her and she felt two strong arms lift her up. She saw bright blue eyes full of concern as they looked at her. She was pulled against a broad chest and wrapped her arms tight around her rescuers neck. She could still feel the steady beat of his heart against her face.

888

Aaden had no idea what had possessed him to call into work today. He was even more confused by his decision to stop by the flower shop and buy a bouquet of flowers and a get well card. But nothing shocked him more then the sound of his boots on the ceramic floors of the hospital hall as he approached room 218.

The nurse on duty had happily told Aaden where Kathleen's room was. Aaden had known Sarah since they'd been kids. That was one of the perks of living in a small town. Sarah had told him that Kathleen was actually from the next county over and he realized that was why he hadn't recognized her the night before.

Aaden stopped at the door to room 218. He had no right to be here. He had heard the nurse last night when she had said that Kathleen had a husband. He certainly had no right to dream about a married woman the way he had the night before and even less right to be here now with a bouquet of flowers.