Chapter Five

As they pulled up in front of the sprawling mansion Aaden's jaw dropped.

"This is where you grew up?" he asked. She nodded and suddenly Aaden realized that Craig had been right…. There was no way a woman who had grown up with things as extravagant as this was ever going to settle on a poor redneck like him. He was lucky that she even wanted to be his friend.

The house was huge.. Four stories and seemingly made of solid stone just like a castle. The driveway was actually bricks and it formed a circle at the front of the house. A large fountain stood in the center of the circle. Aaden looked at the fountain and tilted his head.

"Is that a statue of two half naked women sitting on each other?" he asked. Kathleen looked at the statue and gasped.

"Yes it is.. I never noticed that before…" she said and they both burst out laughing. Aaden parked the truck where Kathleen directed and they both climbed out. It wasn't raining here and they took their time walking up to the wide double door.

"You ok?" Aaden asked her as she paused before knocking. She blew out the breath she'd been holding.

"I should warn you that I am somewhat of a disappointment to the family since I divorced Tom… In their minds he was the perfect man for me and I could never possibly do better…. Just don't be surprised by anything they say or do and I will pre apologize if they are rude to you." Aaden nodded and laid a comforting hand on her shoulder.

"I got your back." he said with a grin.

"Thank you for being such a good friend." she said. Before he could reply the doors opened and a tall man in a butlers uniform smiled warmly at Kathleen.

"Hello miss Kathleen. How nice that you could make it. Your parents have been expecting you. They are in the sitting room with several other guests at the moment." he said.

"Thank you Edward. This is my friend Aaden." she said. Edward smiled at Aaden and gave a slight bow.

"I shall take your bags to your room." Edward said taking the suitcases from Aaden and walking away to a massive stairway. Aaden shook his head.

"First damn time anyone has bowed to me." he said. Kathleen smiled.

"Edward has been with the family since before I was born." she said. "He was the only friend I had growing up."

"It must have gotten lonely." Aaden said as he heard Edwards footsteps echo through the house. She got a faraway look in her eyes and nodded.

"Yes sometimes." she said. He put his arm around her shoulders.

"Let's go meet your folks." he said. She led him through the wide hallway and he looked around at all the fancy statues and paintings and felt more like he was in a museum then a home. She led him into a sitting room and the conversation that had been taking place between the four people inside stopped.

A woman that was dressed every bit like a fancy queen stood up and walked over to them. She must have been Kathleen's mother because they had the same hair and eyes. She took Kathleen's hands in hers and looked her up and down. Her nose curled as if she smelled something bad.

"Dear, how many times do I have to tell you that you should dress more appropriately when you come to visit?" she asked. Kathleen smiled though Aaden could see the hurt on her face. He found it strange that he could already read her face so clearly though he had not known her long at all.

"I have more appropriate clothes up in my suitcase mother. These are just traveling clothes." Kathleen said.

"My dear, if you keep filling out the way you are then you'll be buying a whole new wardrobe." A birdlike woman at the table said. Aaden's eyes narrowed as he looked at her thinning brown hair. He leaned down and whispered in Kathleen's ear.